Non-magistrate member of the Advisory Committee
|Body:||North and West Yorkshire Advisory Committee will make recommendations for appointment to the Lord Chancellor and Lord Chief Justices|
|Appointing Department:||Ministry of Justice|
|Sectors:||Judicial, Prison & Policing|
|Location:||North and West Yorkshire|
|Number of Vacancies:||3|
|Remuneration:||Travel expenses may be claimed for attendances. Financial Loss Allowance (maximum limits apply) may be claimed but is dependent upon the necessary evidence being provided and assessed.|
|Time Requirements:||There are a minimum of three meetings per year, held in Leeds. When the Committee is recruiting new magistrates all members of the committee participate in the interview process. Recruitment may require up to an additional five or more days per year. Members must also be available to sit on conduct panels, to assist in recruitment events for the magistracy and to undertake refresher training from time to time. Meetings, interviews and training events are all usually held in Leeds within normal business hours Monday to Friday. Applicants must be available to undertake an initial two day new member training course.|
|Closing Date:||14/12/2018 12:00|
|Interviews:||Either week commencing 14th January 2019 or week commencing 21st January 2019.|
This is not a ministerial appointment.
There are three vacancies for non-magistrate members of the Lord Chancellor’s Advisory Committee in North and West Yorkshire. Successful applicants will be appointed for a term commencing from the date of appointment in 2019. The Lord Chancellor’s Advisory Committees form a network of committees covering the whole of England and Wales. They are classified as non-department public bodies and are responsible directly to the Lord Chancellor who determines their organisation, structure, membership and operating practices.
• Good interpersonal skills
• Ability to participate in interviewing candidates for the magistracy. Experience of interviewing is an advantage but not essential
• Good judge of character and ability: objectivity
• Ability to articulate clear, well founded reason on the suitability or otherwise of candidates
• Awareness of own prejudices and ability to set them aside
• Discretion in handling confidential information
• Understanding or willingness to acquire understanding of the needs of the bench
• Willingness and ability to talk about the magistracy and to participate in recruitment events
• Ability to work as a team member
• Commitment, dedication and enthusiasm
• Willingness to undergo such training as may, from time to time be prescribed by the Lord Chancellor
• Members are not normally appointed for a period which would extend beyond their 70th birthday. Appointments are normally for a term of nine years. The Committee is seeking new members who are able to serve for at least five years,
• New members must be appointed solely on merit.
• Membership may be terminated at any time by the member or the Lord Chancellor. If a member becomes unable to participate satisfactorily in the work of the committee, or fails to comply with the conditions of appointment, without an acceptable reason, the member will be expected to resign.
• Whilst applicants do not have to live and work in North or West Yorkshire they would be expected to attend meetings, organise and support recruitment events and sit on interview panels in North and West Yorkshire.
• It is important that members have an understanding of local communities and the issues that are facing them.
• Applicants who do not live locally are entitled to apply to be considered but will have to be able to demonstrate that they are able to meet these commitments. HMCTS will meet members’ reasonable travel costs, post appointment, but is not able to reimburse high travel costs or the costs of overnight accommodation.
How to Apply
For an application form and guidance notes please contact the North and West Yorkshire Judicial Support Unit, Leeds Magistrates’ Court, PO Box 97, Westgate, Leeds, LS1 3JP, email email@example.com or telephone 0113 285 5640.
Reference Number: GM0125