Industrial Development Advisory Board ChairAnnounced
|Body:||Industrial Development Advisory Board (IDAB)|
|Appointing Department:||Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy|
|Sector:||Business, Finance & Skills|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||The position of Chair is unpaid. There are no travel requirements.|
|Time Requirements:||12 meetings per annum, plus up to an additional day per month meeting with officials and Ministers and providing management direction for IDAB with support from a Secretariat function.|
An announcement has been made on the outcome of this appointment.View Announcement
Closed for Applications
08/12/2016 at 12:00
Final Interview Date
The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy would like to invite applications for a Chair to the Industrial Development Advisory Board (IDAB), a statutory body established under the Industrial Development Act 1982.
The IDAB is a group of independent experts whose key objective is to ensure that Government intervention or investment in industry is merited and delivers the best possible value for money, i.e the cost and returns of government financial support to industry relative to the economic benefits that will be achieved for statutory cases.
IDAB also provides commercial and financial advice on large commercial projects and other situations that may give rise to a liability for government that fall outside of its statutory remit where it is considered that the Board’s expertise would assist and improve decision making.
The Chair will be expected to be able to analyse cases from a broad range of sectors and understand various scenarios sufficiently to lead discussion to make best use of the knowledge and skills sets across the entire Board.
We are looking for an individual with the following qualities:
- Experience at Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer, Chief Financial Officer, main board director or similar level of experience within industry, banking, accountancy or finance or extensive private equity experience. Experience at senior Partner level in a professional services firm would meet this criterion;
- A proven track record of successfully leading a Board as the Chair with an ability to manage individuals with extensive commercial and or technical expertise in a way that ensures balanced debate leading to sound conclusions.
- An appreciation of the broader context that a Board such as IDAB operates within and how its business should be managed to maximise its impact whilst maintaining independence and proper challenge and scrutiny;
- A successful business record;
- The capacity to give sharp and informed commercial advice;
- A good understanding of business planning, financing and the management of large scale industrial projects;
- The capacity to make strategic judgements related to commercial, industrial and economic matters beyond the candidate’s immediate business or profession;
- Discretion (Officials and Ministers need to be confident that IDAB board members can be relied upon to respect the confidentiality of IDAB cases);
- The ability to work as part of a team; and
- Availability to attend Board meetings, once a month in central London and other commitments within the overall time commitment expected.
Candidates who can demonstrate international experience and expertise within industry, banking, accountancy, company rescue and restructuring or finance are particularly invited to apply.
Where candidates display characteristics of equal quality, the need to ensure diversity across the Department’s public appointments will also be taken into account.
BEIS offers professional training courses on public sector finance and governance for those new to the public sector.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please provide the following:
- Your CV.
- A supporting statement setting out how you meet the criteria for the role.
- Your monitoring forms which can be found in the panel pack. This can also be downloaded.
Completed applications should preferably be emailed, by midday on Thursday 1st December, to: email@example.com. Please ensure that you include ‘IDAB Chair’ in the subject of your email.
If this is not possible, please post a hard copy to: Appointments Team, 4th Floor, 1 Victoria Street, London SW1H 0ET.
|IDAB Chair applicant pack - November 2016|