Appointment of Chair - Social Care WalesClosed
|Body:||Social Care Wales|
|Appointing Department:||Welsh Government|
|Location:||Meetings are held mainly in Cardiff but there will be times when meetings take place across Wales.|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£337 per day plus travel and other reasonable expenses within reasonable limits in accordance with Welsh Government guidance.|
|Time Requirements:||8 days per month|
Closed for Applications
04/01/2019 at 16:00
Final Interview Date
The Board of Social Care Wales collectively are responsible for making sure that Social Care Wales’ strategic direction is focused on the well-being goals for Wales, the principles of the Social Services and Wellbeing (Wales) Act 2014 and the Regulation and Inspection (Wales) Act 2016. The Board is expected to adhere to the Nolan seven principles of public life and show the leadership values of the Welsh Public Service.
The Chair is accountable to the Minister for Children, Older People and Social Care for the performance of the Board and its effective governance, upholding the Welsh public service values and promoting the confidence of the public and partners throughout Wales.
The Chair of Social Care Wales will:
- Provide strategic leadership and vision for Social Care Wales to drive forward its purpose in building the confidence in the social care and early years workforce, leading and supporting improvement, and providing confidence in the regulation of the workforce and the effectiveness of Social Care Wales.
- Make sure the Board works together to meet the strategic aims of Social Care Wales through its strategies, policies and governance.
- Ensure that Social Care Wales policies and actions support the Minister’s wider strategic policies.
- Be accountable and responsive to the Minister for Children, Older People and Social Care for the activity of Social Care Wales.
- Be responsible for leadership of the board and ensuring its effectiveness in all aspects of its role. Promoting effective relationships and open communication, between board members, the executive team and staff within Social Care Wales.
- Work effectively with the Chief Executive and the Executive Team who are responsible for the resources and delivery of the organisation.
- Hold the Chief Executive to account across the breadth of his/her responsibilities; making sure the development of an effective Executive Team is focused on delivery and outcomes for the sector.
- Support Board members to actively participate in collective decision-making, and chair, or participate, where required in one or more committees of Social Care Wales.
- As an ambassador for Social Care Wales promote its profile and wider relationships with the public, stakeholder organisations.
- Work effectively with relevant organisations at regional, national and UK level in order to further the objectives of Social Care Wales and of stakeholder organisations.
- Provide the assurance and governance for the proper stewardship of public money and other resources for which the Board is accountable.
- Make sure all Board Members are clear on their roles and responsibilities.
- Make sure all Board Members are trained, developed and that and that their performance is formally reviewed on an annual basis.
- Make sure the Board show a positive culture and promote the well-being, values and standards of conduct for the organisation and staff.
Knowledge and experience:
We are looking for a person with experience of:
- being a leader and strategic thinker
- operating at a senior level in a strategic capacity
- relationship management, building and maintaining strong, open relationships with stakeholders
- analysing data and evidence to inform decisions
- being innovative in approach
- focusing on the issues that need to be dealt with
- decision making skills that allow informed decisions to be made on a variety of matters
- Reviewing and scrutinising organisational performance
- Developing and maintaining constructive relationships
- providing knowledgeable, impartial and balanced perspective on a range of sensitive and complex issues
We are looking for a person with knowledge and understanding of:
- the public sector
- working in partnership
- equality issues, both promoting diversity and challenging discriminatory practices.
Personal attributes and skills:
- Strategic perspective, vision and ability to work positively within a team;
- Drive and determination, with the ability to instil vision and develop defined strategies to pursue long and short-term goals;
- Good understanding of a Welsh Government Sponsored Body governance issues and public-sector finance issues and the political landscape in which it operates.
- Ability to lead and inspire staff, to look ahead and identify key issues for the Social Care sector;
- Strong interpersonal skills with personal impact and credibility to be an effective advocate and ambassador for Social Care Wales with strong influencing and negotiating skills;
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to be clear and succinct, and to be able to engage with people at all levels;
- Ability to facilitate, understanding of complex issues while demonstrating respect for the views of others;
- Ability to ensure a board works together effectively through their active involvement in a robust and transparent decision-making process;
- Ability to motivate and develop the board to define roles and responsibilities to ensure ownership and accountability
- build mutually supportive working relationships with other board members and the executive.
For further information regarding the selection process, please contact:
Public Appointments Unit
Tel: 03000 61 6095
For further information regarding the role of Social Care Wales and the role of the Chair please contact Llinos Bradbury, Board Secretary, Social Care Wales:
Tel: 029 2078 0540