Board Member for the Engineering Construction Industry Training Board (ECITB)Announced
|Body:||Engineering Construction Industry Training Board (ECITB)|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Education|
|Sectors:||Business, Finance & Skills, Education, Energy|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Time Requirements:||18 days per annum|
An announcement has been made on the outcome of this appointment.View Announcement
Closed for Applications
The closing date has been extended to 05.11.18
Final Interview Date
The closing date for this competition has been extended to 05.11.18. Sift and interview dates will be confirmed asap.
Deputy Director, Quality, College Improvement and Sponsorship • Departmental Official
Chair of the ECITB • Representative of Organisation
Independent Board Member of the Constuction Insustry Training Board and former Chief Executive of the Science Council • Independent Member
As engineering construction skills are critical to the economy, this is an important time to join the Board. The governance of the ECITB has recently been revised, moving to a smaller, more strategic board which is headed by Lynda Armstrong OBE.
The ECITB is now looking for exceptional candidates from the Oil and Gas sector who will quickly understand the needs of the industry and drive the organisation towards helping the industry attract, train and develop the skilled workforce it needs. Trustees will work with the Chair to hold the Executive Team to account for delivery of the organisation’s offer to the industry. The ECITB is primarily looking for individuals engaged in the employment of people in the industry, but applications from other types of candidates will not be discouraged.
Board Members will be required to:
- Support the Chair in ensuring ECITB policies and actions meet the needs of the industry and support the wider strategic policies of Governments in England, Scotland and Wales.
- Ensure the ECITB meets its statutory, legal and regulatory obligations, and delivers against its core purposes.
- Promote the support ECITB provides to the industry and represent the organisation at external functions, meetings and events.
- Enthusiastically lead and participate in committees such as the Audit and Risk Committee, Remuneration Committee and Qualifications and Awards committee bringing impartiality and objectivity to the decision making process.
- Ensure that decisions are taken in the best, long-term interests of the organisation and Industry and take collective ownership of Board decisions.
- Conduct regular self-assessments and assessments of Board and Council effectiveness, as well as undertaking an annual performance review with the Chair.
- One of the Trustees will be the Deputy Chair of the Board and Chair of the advisory Council.
Board Members must have the personal credibility to allow them to access and interact with stakeholders at all levels and to ensure the interests of the ECITB are properly represented. Key stakeholders include:
- Internal: The Chief Executive, Executive management and the ECITB Council
- External: Secretary of State for Education and/or delegated political representatives, the DfE sponsorship team, Chairs, Executives and directors of in-scope and other industry companies, associated organisations and other groups as necessary.
ECITB Board Members are accountable to the Secretary for State and, in common with any individual with responsibility for devolved functions, may also be held to account by Parliamentary Committee.
The board seeks to promote diversity and equality and we encourage applications from all candidates regardless of ethnicity, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability
The ECITB is looking for candidates from the Oil and Gas sector who can demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Strong interpersonal communication and influencing skills together with the political acumen and personal impact to successfully engage and influence a range of senior stakeholders.
- An ability to think strategically, analytically and to address complex challenges.
- The capacity to work effectively alongside the Executive Management team.
- An ability to challenge, influence and produce sound, independent judgement.
- A team player, approachable, participative, confident in fostering co-operative working between Council members, Trustees, the Executive and stakeholders.
- Sufficient time and interest to participate fully in the work of the Board and to be an active ambassador and advocate for the ECITB.
- A sound understanding and knowledge of the strategic challenges that emanate from the economic, political and technological environment in England, Scotland and Wales.
- High level of knowledge and understanding of employment needs and emergent trends and developments within the industry.
- Have one or more of the following skills:
- Finance/Audit including risk management
- Skills and training
- Human Resources
- Governance and legal understanding
- Qualifications and awards
- Knowledge of the Nuclear or Renewable or Oil & Gas Sectors
- Experience of industry associations
- Recent corporate experience at Board/senior level in an organisation of comparable or large size. Ideally, this should be within the engineering construction industry.
- An appreciation of non-executive roles and the capacity to work with a non-executive board of trustees.
- An understanding of the working of a non-departmental public body and the associated governance requirements would be desirable.
- One of the Trustees will be appointed as the Deputy Chair. This individual will be expected to have the ability to lead the advisory Council and in the event of a vacant chair, the Board of Trustees.
All reasonable travel expenses incurred in connection with the role are payable by the ECITB.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit an up-to-date CV and a separate personal statement (each approximately two sides of A4 in length) that address the criteria set out in the person specification, using examples to demonstrate how you meet the requirements for the role. Please ensure you include your home, work, mobile and email contact details.
Additionally, please fully complete and return the following:
- Candidate Application Form
- Diversity Monitoring Form
- (if relevant) Guaranteed Interview Scheme form
Your application and all accompanying documentation and information should be sent to: PublicAppointments.APPLICATIONS@education.gov.uk. Please include ‘ECITB Board’ in the subject heading.