Board Member (Welsh Essential)(x1)-Hybu Cig Cymru - Meat Promotion Board WalesAnnounced
|Appointing Department:||Welsh Government|
|Sector:||Environment, Food & Rural Affairs|
|Location:||Board meetings are usually held in Aberystwyth|
|Skills required:||Business / Commercial|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£300 per day|
|Time Requirements:||12 days per annum|
An announcement has been made on the outcome of this appointment.
Welsh Government’s Minister for Environment, Energy and Rural Affairs, Lesley Griffiths MS has agreed the appointment of Prys Morgan as a new member of Hybu Cig Cymru / Meat Promotion Wales for the period 9th April 2020 until 31st March 2023.
Date: 22/05/2020View Announcement
Closed for Applications
05/01/2020 at 16:00
Final Interview Date
22/05/2020 at 10:00
Maria Richards Added 29/11/2019
Head of Future Farming Policy, Welsh Government • Departmental Official
Kevin Roberts Added 29/11/2019
HCC Chair • Representative of Organisation
Stephen James Added 29/11/2019
Chair, Wales Animal Health & Welfare Framework Group • Independent Member
The key responsibilities of the Board will be to:
- Support the delivery the key recommendations from the independent review of HCC published October 2016.
- Support the delivery of the ‘Vision 2025 – Vision and Strategic Direction for the Welsh Red Meat Sector to 2025’.
- Attend Sub-Committees of the Board as appropriate.
- Contribute to the development of the HCC Corporate Plan and the HCC Operational Plan through the Board.
- Ensure systems are in place to monitor the effectiveness of HCC and that Board Members have accurate, timely and clear information on the company’s performance.
- Maintain sound corporate governance and ensure all activities are discharged with probity and propriety as required of an organisation expending public monies.
- Communicate and attend meetings where appropriate with stakeholders and the Welsh Government.
- Play a key role in promoting the views of HCC to the general public.
To be considered, you must be able to demonstrate you have the qualities, skills and experience to meet all the essential criteria for appointment:
Appreciation of the agriculture and wider food industry needs
- Be able to demonstrate an appreciation of the issues facing the industry and Welsh Red Meat Levy Payers.
Experience of Strategic Development
- Creative thinking and strategy development; and
- Analytical ability and effective decision making.
Experience of Corporate Governance
- Monitoring the effectiveness of activities and ensuring the collation of accurate, timely and clear information on performance; and
- Discharging activities with probity and propriety.
- Effective communication skills with the ability to promote the views of HCC and the industry to media, Government and stakeholders; and
- Good interpersonal skills, able to develop sound relationships with stakeholders and others.
- Facilitate contact with HCC’s stakeholders and actively promote equality and diversity with communities and respective stakeholders.
Experience and Knowledge: Specialist Criteria
To ensure a cross section of skills on the HCC Board, the Welsh Government will prioritise the appointments across the following specific areas.
- Marketing (consumer/ trade)
- Finance and audit
- Red meat levy payers (primary producers and processors)
- Legal and governance
In addition to the specialist skills, it is desirable that Board Members would have the following skills:
- A solid understanding of the necessity of equality and diversity.
- An ability to constructively challenge.
- A proven track record in building relationships with a range of stakeholders.
- Knowledge and understanding of learning and work issues at community, local and regional or national levels.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to clearly and succinctly explain complex issues, whilst demonstrating respect for the views of others.
- Sound judgement, sensitivity and political awareness.
- An understanding of public life and the principles of good governance.
- The ability to communicate effectively in both Welsh and English.
- Experience in being interviewed by the media.
Welsh language skills are essential for 1 Board Member.
For further information regarding the selection process, please contact:
The Corporate Shared Service Centre
Tel: 03000 255454
For further information regarding the role of Hybu Cig Cymru and the role of board members, please contact:
Tel: 03000 255002
How to Apply
The first time you apply for a post, you will need to complete a registration form for the Welsh Government’s online application system. You will only need to register once, and you will be able to keep yourself updated on the progress of your application, and any other applications you make, via your registered account.
Once you’ve registered, you’ll be able to access the application form. To apply you will need to submit two supporting documents. The first, a document outlining how your knowledge, skills and experiences meet the criteria for the role as outlined in the information for candidates. This document should be no more than 2 sides of A4. Your application may be rejected if you exceed this limit. The second document is a full, up to date CV. The two documents should be uploaded to the ‘Reasons for applying’ section of the online application form.
In your application, you will also be asked to provide details of any activities which have helped you to develop skills that would be useful in a public appointment role, and list the organisations for which you undertook these activities. We also need to know about any political activity that you’ve undertaken over the last 5 years.
It is recommended that you register for an account and access the application form as soon as possible so that you see how the application form is structured, before starting to prepare your evidence. You don’t have to complete the application form all in one go. You can save your responses, and log in and out as required, until you’re ready to submit – just follow the guidance in the application form.
If you’d like to apply for this opportunity in Welsh, please use the ‘Newid Iaith / Change Language’ link at the top of this page, to take you to the Welsh version of this advert, from which you can apply in Welsh.
If you need any further assistance in applying for this role, please contact the Welsh Government’s Public Appointments Team on PublicAppointments@gov.wales.