Board Member - Construction Industry Training BoardAnnounced
|Body:||Construction Industry Training Board (CITB)|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Education|
|Sectors:||Business, Finance & Skills, Education|
|Location:||The Board meets up to six times a year at locations throughout the UK. The SME Board member will be required to undertake occasional travel to other CITB offices and colleges.|
|Number of Vacancies:||There are three vacancies to join the CITB Board an ‘Employer’ trustee or an ‘Independent’ trustee.|
|Remuneration:||The role is non-remunerated, although all reasonable travel expenses incurred in connection with the role will be paid.|
|Time Requirements:||The expected time commitment for the role is on average two days per month. The Trustees will be expected to attend six Board Meetings per year and be willing to Chair a Committee of the Board.|
Closing date Extended
Closing date extended by two weeks to 14.03.18
Closed for Applications
To be conducted 15th - 19th March
Final Interview Date
Board Members are responsible for the governance, strategic direction and monitoring of business performance. The CITB Board is accountable to the Secretary of State, the Charity Commission and CITB’s beneficiaries. The CITB Trustees are required to operate with a high level of transparency and accountability.
Trustees are expected to provide the Board with recent knowledge and expertise in the area of corporate business strategy and high level networking in business and/or political fields.
The ‘Employer’ Trustee should hold a Senior Management position in a commercial business in the construction industry, as a director, manager, sole proprietor or otherwise.
The ‘Independent’ trustee should be from the wider market of the non-construction industry, able to bring a perspective, provide a valuable insight and make an impact on both the industry and how training is delivered.
The CITB SME Board members are required to demonstrate the following:
Strategic and Dynamic Leadership at Executive/Board level:
- High level experience/strategically agile in integrating business knowledge and analytical insight to shape strategic direction and to address complex challenges;
- sound understanding and knowledge of the economic, political and technological environment in Scotland, Wales and England;
- an ability to set strategic priorities and to enable CITB to lead on future strategic developments for the construction industry, including the use of levy funds.
Knowledge and Experience of the Vocational Education, Training and Developing Requirements in the Construction Industry:
- influence and improving training and skills needs in the construction industry across Scotland, Wales and England;
- a commitment to the needs of the construction stakeholder communities, across the nations and regions supporting the diversity in the workforce
Effective Networking, Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
- Experience of developing and sustaining high level networks, contacts within industry, public office and PR; politically astute, with some experience of successful lobbying and influencing Government at senior level is desirable;
- an ability to build and sustain collegiate working relations with a broad and diverse range of partners, including national and local Government, strategic partners, stakeholders and interest groups; credibility, visibility to build trust and respect from stakeholders; support the work of the CEO and the Executive management and contribute to the work of Board.
Business Performance and Public Accountability
- Strong financial and analytical literacy;
- an ability to identify and promote business improvement and change management; this can include specialist, technical knowledge and understanding gained from any relevant areas, such as financial management, audit and risk management, investment leadership, the law, assurance and public policy formulation; accountability for business performance and funding, including giving direction to CEO and Executive management on business planning and priorities.
- All Trustees will be assessed at least once a year against their performance for each year of their appointment. The assessments will be carried out only by the Chair of the Board.
In summary the SME Board member will require the following skills, knowledge and experience, which will be tested through application and interview
- The capability to provide an SME perspective and insight into the working of the Board
- Commercial and industry experience at senior level, preferably in the construction industry
- Generally acknowledged wide ranging understanding of the construction sector and its skills and training needs
- The ability to offer and communicate a progressive view of the industry’s future and its requirements
- Essential innovative ideas, taking into account the political, financial, economic and social factors facing the industry in the near future
- Successful track record of achievements
- Experience of public sector governance and working with or as part of a Board of Trustees.
- Experience of chairing meetings and events.
Knowledge and Skills
· Broad knowledge and understanding of the Construction Industry Training Board and its operating environment/current issues
- Capacity to help build and maintain close links with relevant industry trade associations and other bodies.
- Financial management expertise and a broad understanding of Non-Departmental Public Bodies governance and financial issues.
- Experience in the mechanisms of a registered Charity.
The appointments are for a period of up to four years with the option to extend for one further year subject to Ministerial approval.
How to Apply
|To apply for this post, please submit an up-to-date CV and a separate personal statement (each approximately two sides of A4 in length) that address the criteria set out in the person specification, using examples to demonstrate how you meet the requirements for the role. Please ensure you include your home, work, mobile and email contact details.
Additionally, please complete and return the following as separate annexes:
· Declaration of Interests form (Annex A)
· Political Activity Questionnaire (Annex B)
· Diversity Monitoring Form (Annex C)
· (if relevant) Guaranteed Interview Scheme form (Annex D)
You will be able to find these documents at the end of this application. Your application and all accompanying documentation and information should be sent to:
Alternatively you can send a hard copy of your application via post to:
Public Appointments Team