Boundary Commission for England - MembersClosed
|Body:||Boundary Commission for England|
|Appointing Department:||Cabinet Office|
|Sectors:||Communities, Judicial, Prison & Policing|
|Location:||To be based in London but applications accepted from all regions|
|Skills required:||Legal / Judicial, Regulation|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Remuneration:||£505.50 per day|
|Time Requirements:||These are part time appointments. It is anticipated that Members will be expected to commit to around 3 to 4 days a year during periods outside of Boundary Reviews, and around 12 to 15 days a year during Boundary Reviews.|
Closed for Applications
31/01/2019 at 17:00
Final Interview Date
Peter Lee Added 12/12/2018
Director, Constitution Group • Departmental Official
Peter Lee was appointed Director of the Cabinet Office's Constitution Group in September 2017.
Political Activity N/A Notes Peter has previously spent three years at the Cabinet Office as a Deputy Director in the Economic and Domestic Secretariat. Prior to his appointment to Constitution Group, he spent two years in Defra, firstly as Director of Animal and Plant Health and then as Director for Devolution, Legislation and Governance. He began his Civil Service career in the Department for Transport.
Sir Andrew Nicol Added 14/11/2018
Deputy Chair, Boundary Commission for England • Representative of Organisation
As the Deputy Chair of the Boundary Commission for England (BCE), Sir Andrew Nicol leads the BCE in the conduct of a review. Sir Andrew Nicol is a serving Judge of the High Court.
Political Activity N/A Notes Sir Andrew Nicol was appointed a judge of the High Court (Queen’s Bench Division) in 2009. He was one of the Presiding Judges on the South Eastern Circuit from 2011-2014.
Colleen Harris Added 13/11/2018
Consultant • Independent Member
With more than 25 years’ experience, ranging from the British Royal Household, via Downing Street, to international NGOs, Colleen Harris has a strong track record of working in high-profile media and communications roles. This professional experience is complemented by a broad portfolio of trusteeships and non-executive director roles in the arts, education and health.
Political Activity N/A Notes Her career has included senior posts in the Deputy Prime Minister’s Office, and the Cabinet Office as well as in non-departmental Public Bodies. She has worked in Britain and abroad as a consultant with private companies, non-profit organisations and UN agencies, including the World Health Organisation.
Post 1: it is highly desirable for candidates to have professional legal experience, ideally in a local government, planning or public administration context.
Post 2: it is desirable for candidates to have a background in a local government, planning or public administration context.
The role of Members will involve:
- Attending meetings of the Boundary Commission for England.
- Undertaking visits to areas as part of the review process, as required.
- Formulating proposals according to the remit of the legislation governing the Boundary Commission for England.
- Following the Seven Principles of Public Life set out by the Committee on Standards in Public Life.
- Complying with the Code of Conduct for Board Members of Public Bodies, and ensure they understand their duties, rights and responsibilities and that they are familiar with the function and role of the Boundary Commission for England.
The successful candidate will:
- Be able to take an independent, evenly balanced view and demonstrate political neutrality.
- Be able to analyse and evaluate information effectively and come to a reasoned conclusion.
- Be able to work successfully in a small team.
- Be skilled in communication and negotiation.
- Have a good knowledge of the different tiers of government in England and the services they provide.
- Have a clear understanding and commitment to the Seven Principles of Public Life.
Members can claim for reasonable travel and subsistence expenses necessarily incurred while performing their duties at rates set centrally by Cabinet Office.
|Public Appointment Boundary Commission for England Information Pack|
|Diversity Monitoring form|
|Conflict of Interest form|
|Guaranteed Interview Scheme|