Cafcass Board Members x 3Announced
|Appointing Department:||Ministry of Justice|
|Sector:||Judicial, Prison & Policing|
|Location:||The role is based in London (and on occasion in other locations in the UK. Some travel is required to attend meetings and events across the UK.)|
|Skills required:||Audit and Risk, Regulation|
|Number of Vacancies:||3|
|Remuneration:||£286.82 per day|
|Time Requirements:||Up to 35 days a year.|
An announcement has been made on the outcome of this appointment.
The Secretary of State has announced the appointments of 3 new Board members of the Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service (Cafcass).
Date: 19/03/2020View Announcement
Closed for Applications
16/10/2019 at 17:00
Final Interview Date
24 & 27 January 2020
Deputy Director of Family and Criminal Justice Policy, Policy, Communication and Analysis Group • Departmental Official
Interim Chair of Cafcass Board • Representative of Organisation
Deputy Director, Finance directorate, MOJ • Departmental Official
Political Activity - Notes -
The purpose of the Board is threefold: to ensure good governance across the organisation, to add value to Cafcass’s strategic direction and programmes, and to ensure that Cafcass’ policies are compatible with those of the Secretary of State.
The Board is specifically responsible for:
- Establishing and taking forward the strategic aims and objectives of Cafcass consistent with its overall strategic direction and within the policy and resources framework determined by the responsible Minister;
- Ensuring that the responsible Minister is kept informed of any changes or risks that are likely to impact on the strategic direction of Cafcass or on the attainability of its targets, and determining the steps needed to deal with such changes or risks;
- Ensuring that any statutory or administrative requirements for the use of public funds are complied with; that the Board operates within the limits of its statutory authority and any delegated authority agreed with the Department, and in accordance with any other conditions relating to the use of public funds; and that, in reaching decisions, the Board takes into account guidance issued by Department;
- Ensuring that it receives and reviews regular financial information concerning the management of Cafcass; is informed in a timely manner of any concerns about the activities of Cafcass; and provides positive assurance to the Department that appropriate action has been taken on such concerns;
- Demonstrating high standards of corporate governance at all times, including by using the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee to help the Board to identity, address and manage key financial and other risks;
- Ensuring Cafcass is compliant with appropriate adaptations of sections of Corporate Governance in Central Government Departments: Code of Good Practice;
- Ensuring suitable business continuity arrangements are put into place and tested; and
- Appointing a Chief Executive and, in consultation with the Department, setting performance objectives and remuneration terms linked to those objectives for the Chief Executive, which give due weight to the proper management and use of public resources.
Members of the Board may be called upon to chair various Cafcass working groups that are charged with developing strategies for priority areas, or to take on lead roles for specific issues. The lead role system is well developed and is based upon important thematic issues being taken forward by a Board member and designated senior manager, on behalf of the Board and the Cafcass Executive (the Corporate Management Team).
Candidates will be able to demonstrate the following:
- An understanding, or willingness and commitment to quickly acquire an understanding, of the family justice system and children’s services (including child safeguarding priorities and programmes, children’s social care and court work) plus the capacity to promote better outcomes for children;
- Experience of or a good understanding of effective corporate governance, financial management (not necessarily as a professionally qualified person) and the strategic contribution technology can make to improving working practices and management of information, gained through working at a senior level, in the public, private or voluntary sectors.
- Evidence of sound judgement, customer focus and exceptional communication skills with the ability to command respect and establish credibility and act as an ambassador for the organisation in line with Cafcass’ values and behaviours;
- Evidence of effective working as a member of a team, with the ability to ensure full stakeholder engagement and the ability to secure the commitment of other key organisations, agencies and individuals to work together to achieve shared goals; and
- Evidence of valuing and promoting diversity.
- Experience in leading, managing and embedding change within an organisation.
Additionally, the essential criterion for the Chair of the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee is:
- Experience in a senior finance role or professional accountancy qualification.
- Experience of working within Audit Committees or experience of audit and risk management.
- There must be no employment restrictions, or time limit on your permitted stay in the UK. You should normally have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least three years prior to your application.
- You should not be employed in the UK civil service.
How to Apply
Send the following documents:
- A copy of your CV, in no more than two sides of A4
- A supporting statement that evidences how you meet all the criteria, in no more than two sides of A4
- Declaration of interests form;
- Previous or current public appointments;
- Names and contacts details of two referees (who will be contacted if you are shortlisted for interview);
- Political activity declaration form;
- Equal opportunities monitoring form, and the
- Guaranteed interview scheme declaration, if relevant.
Completed applications should be sent to: PublicAppointmentsTeam@justice.gov.uk,receipt of applications will be acknowledged. Please include the reference in your application (PAT150081- Cafcass Board Member)
|Reference Request form|
|Diversity monitoring form|
|Conflict of Interest Declaration|
|Cafcass -Members Candidate information Pack - July 2019.doc|