All Wales Medicines Strategy Group - ChairClosed
|Body:||All Wales Medicines Strategy Group|
|Appointing Department:||Welsh Government|
|Location:||AWMSG meetings are usually held in Llandough Hospital, Cardiff.|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||The post is unsalaried but the successful candidate will be entitled to receive an honorarium at a daily rate of £337.|
|Time Requirements:||30 days per year|
Closed for Applications
13/05/2019 at 16:00
Final Interview Date
Andrew Evans Added 17/04/2019
Chief Pharmaceutical Officer • Departmental Official
Dr Sian Lewis Added 17/04/2019
Managing Director • Other Panel Member
Meindert Boyson Added 17/04/2019
Director of the Centre for Health Technology Evaluation. • Independent Member
Katja Dew Added 08/05/2019
Independent Member - Aneurin Bevan Local Health Board • Other Panel Member
Established in 2002, the All Wales Medicines Strategy Group (AWMSG) is a non-statutory scientific advisory committee which provides advice in an effective, efficient and transparent manner to the Welsh Ministers on strategic medicines management and prescribing matters.
The AWMSG appraisal process, which has been recognised by the NHS Evidence Accreditation Scheme, gives patients in Wales, routine access to medicines ahead of appraisal by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).
The AWMSG brings together an expert panel including NHS doctors, pharmacists and other healthcare staff academics, health economists, industry representatives, patient advocates and lay representatives to reach a consensus on the use of new medicines within NHS Wales. It develops policies that promote the best use of medicines for patients in Wales. These decisions impact on medicines management issues affecting both primary and secondary care. The main priorities of AWMSG are:
- Advise Welsh Ministers of emerging technologies and medicines management to support strategic planning;
- Develop timely, independent and authoritative advice on new medicines and on the cost implications of making these medicines routinely available;
- Advise the Welsh Government on the development of a consistent evidence based and cost-effective medicines strategy for Wales.
The work of AWMSG is planned via the AWMSG Steering Committee. This committee prioritises the work programme of AWMSG to ensure the efficient use of AWMSG resources.
AWMSG works closely with NICE to complement the NICE Health Technology Appraisal programme.
All meetings of AWMSG are open to the public.
The appointed Chair will:
- Play a key role in shaping the medicine management agenda in Wales, and the implementing AWMSG’s prescribing strategy;
- Provide strategic direction to the NHS in Wales and all key stakeholders;
- Play a critical role in ensuring the work of the All Wales Therapeutics and Toxicology Centre (AWTTC) supports the Committee and NHS Wales in achieving their strategic objectives;
- Be instrumental in developing innovative partnerships which benefit patients;
- Achieve best outcomes from the use of medicines in Wales;
- Chair up to ten AWMSG meetings each year and be a member of the AWMSG Steering Committee which meets monthly.
To be considered, you must be able to demonstrate that you have the following qualities, skills and abilities to meet all the essential criteria for appointment:
- An interest in, and knowledge of the National Health Service and how it operates in Wales along with a detailed knowledge of pharmaceutical issues affecting patients;
- A persuasive communicator, capable of effectively chairing meetings and supporting the development of committees and operation of executive functions;
- A proven ability of providing strong, effective and visible leadership skills;
- An ability to understand of the importance of high standards in public life and of the importance of patient and public engagement;
- A proven track record of success or achievement in the public, voluntary or private sectors;
- Ability to demonstrate inclusive leadership in terms of group diversity and a clear understanding and commitment to equality.
Personal Attributes and Skills
- Ability to motivate and inspire staff
- Good communication skills
- Engage with staff and staff representatives at all levels within the organisation Drive and determination, with the ability to instil vision and develop defined strategies to pursue long and short-term goals
We particularly welcome applications from women, disabled people and individuals with an ethnic minority background who are conversant with the world of prescribing and pharmaceutical and are genuinely interested in the work of AWMSG, and can contribute to making it a high performing public body.
For further information regarding the role please contact Darren Ormond Tel:03000 255621 or email: email@example.com.
If you need any further assistance in applying for this role, please contact the Welsh Government’s Public Appointments Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|AWMSG - Chair - -Information for candidates (E).doc|
|AWMSG - Chair - -Information for candidates (W).doc|