Chair, Adoption and Special Guardianship Leadership Board
|Body:||Adoption and Special Guardianship Leadership Board|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Education|
|Location:||Could be based anywhere in the UK, but will require regular travel to central London, with possible occasional travel to other locations.|
|Skills required:||Change Management|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£550 per day|
|Time Requirements:||Time commitment may vary depending on the work programme, but will be up to 40 days a year.|
Closed for Applications
28/08/2020 at 10:00
Week beginning 31st August
Final Interview Date
To be confirmed - by end September
To be confirmed - by end October
Director, Children’s Social Care – Practice and Workforce • Departmental Official
Vice-President, Association of Directors of Children's Services • Other Panel Member
Lord Patel of Bradford
Chair of Social Work England • Independent Member
Specialist in children’s services • Other Panel Member
Political Activity Former leader of Hampshire County Council Notes -
- Proactively shaping and driving forward the strategic agenda of the Adoption and Special Guardianship Leadership Board (ASGLB) by:
- ensuring that the ASGLB operates as an effective and efficient mechanism for reforming adoption and special guardianship services in England, liaising with other Children’s Services leaders as appropriate;
- providing critical challenge and support to sector leaders to ensure a high performing and efficient system;
- ensuring the ASGLB delivers its aims and objectives, including through swift, corrective action where necessary;
- ensuring join up where appropriate with other Boards, such as the Family Justice Board.
- Acting as figurehead for the ASGLB and a champion for adoption and special guardianship, representing it to a range of stakeholders including the media; and ensuring transparent communications to the public.
- Providing strong leadership to the ASGLB including through effective Chairing of meetings.
- Reporting to the Secretary of State for Education at agreed intervals on the ASGLB’s progress and latest trends and issues facing the adoption system; and advising on any changes needed to its focus.
Applicants will be assessed against the following criteria. In your covering letter you should demonstrate clearly how you meet each of the following requirements of the post. For those invited for interview, your responses will be further developed and discussed.
- Ability to provide strategic leadership at national level, including influencing Government policies and programmes.
- Track record in influencing and gaining commitment from senior leaders in a complex political environment.
- Ability to drive action and deliver performance improvement in adoption and special guardianship services, including through the use of data and evidence.
- Strong Chairing skills and proven ability to build consensus amongst board members, including through conflict resolution.
- Knowledge of the care system and in particular adoption and special guardianship services in England and an understanding of those people affected by the system.
- Ability to act as a public figurehead, with proven ability to convey complex and sensitive messages simply and to a range of audiences including media.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is 28th August at 10.00am.
Information on the timetable for this campaign, selection process, requisite security clearance, and the Advisory Assessment Panel can be found on the Centre for Public Appointments website: https://publicappointments.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/
Please submit the following documents by email to: PublicAppointments.APPLICATIONS@education.gov.uk
- A covering letter not exceeding two sides of A4 paper. (Arial size 12).
- A CV.
- Candidate application form.
- Diversity monitoring form (if you find it easier to complete this in pdf format, please let us know).
Please include the vacancy title in the subject box and submit each application document as a separate attachment.
We are happy to accept applications in alternative formats from applicants who, for reasons of disability, may find it difficult to fill in our standard form. If you would like to have a chat with us about reasonable adjustments please contact us at:
Please note the following:
- we cannot accept applications submitted after the closing date;
- applications will be assessed solely on the documentation provided; please refer to the advert and checklist above to ensure you have provided everything requested;
- applications will be acknowledged upon receipt;
- feedback will only be given to candidates unsuccessful following interview.