Chair - Advisory Panel on Substance Misuse (APoSM)Announced
|Appointing Department:||Welsh Government|
|Sectors:||Charity & Public Sector, Communities, Health|
|Location:||Meetings are generally held in Cardiff|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||Members of the Panel will serve in a voluntary, unpaid capacity.|
|Time Requirements:||Ten days per year|
An announcement has been made on the outcome of this appointment.
Rebecca Evans, Minister for Social Services and Public Health, has today announced the appointment of a new Chair to the Advisory Panel on Substance Misuse.View Announcement
Closed for Applications
week commencing 12 June 2017
Final Interview Date
Tracey Breheny Added 15/05/2017
Deputy Director Substance Misuse Government and Corporate Business • Departmental Official
Chris Gittins Added 15/05/2017
Head of Substance Misuse Policy and Finance • Other Panel Member
Lee Robinson Added 15/05/2017
Chair, North Wales Area Planning Board • Independent Member
The Advisory Panel on Substance Misuse (APoSM) is a Welsh Government Sponsored Body established under general executive powers of the Welsh Ministers. The Panel reports to the Minister for Social Services and Public Health.
The Panel is an independent expert advisory body that provides advice to support an evidence-based approach to policy making on matters referred to it by the Minister. The Panel also provides advice on relevant matters of its own volition as agreed with the Minister as part of its annual work programme which includes the following matters:
• advise the Minister on measures to prevent or reduce substance misuse;
• advise the Minister on the associated health and social harms of substance misuse and how they can be prevented or reduced;
• review implementation of the Welsh Government’s Substance Misuse Strategy.
The chief responsibility of the Chair is to lead the Panel and meet the Boards overall responsibilities to provide advice to the Minister for Social Services and Public Health on tackling substance misuse in Wales.
In order to motivate, lead and inspire others to apply their skills to maximum effect you will need knowledge and experience of substance misuse issues at national and international level, and Wales in particular.
As well as providing leadership for the Panel, you will be required to develop consensus amongst the Panel on formulating recommendations to the Minister for Social Services and Public Health and to represent the Panel to the Minister and other senior politicians.
To be considered, you must be able to demonstrate that you have the qualities, skills and experience to meet all the essential criteria for appointment.
• A good understanding and appreciation of the political and social issues that affect substance misuse issues in Wales;
• A good understanding and appreciation of political and legislative processes in Wales;
• Experience of influencing policy development, gained from private, public or voluntary sector experience;
Skills and Behaviour
• Good leadership qualities, including the ability to motivate, lead and inspire others;
• Effective and influential communication skills, including being able to actively listen, seek information and ask questions to ensure the understanding of underlying concerns of others;
• Good relationship management skills including the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with key stakeholders;
• An understanding of the Welsh strategy (and associated Delivery Plan) to combat substance misuse and developments at the UK level;
• A clear understanding and commitment to equality and diversity.
For further information regarding the role of APoSM and the role of chair please contact:
Tel: 0300 062 8263
If you need any further assistance in applying for this role, please contact the Welsh Government’s Corporate Shared Service Centre Helpdesk on 029 2082 5454 or SharedServiceHelpdesk@wales.gsi.gov.uk
For further information about Public Appointments in Wales, please visit www.gov.wales/publicappointments
How to Apply
|Advisory Panel on Substance Misuse (APoSM) - Information pack for applicants|
|Y Panel Cynghori ar Gamddefnyddio Sylweddau (ApoSM) - Pecyn gwybodaeth i ymgeiswyr|