Chair - All Wales Medicines Strategy Group
|Body:||All Wales Medicines Strategy Group (AWMSG)|
|Appointing Department:||Welsh Government|
|Location:||The AWMSG meetings are usually held in Llandough Hospital, Cardiff. In the current environment, meetings have been held virtually via Microsoft Teams.|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||The post is unsalaried but the successful candidate will be entitled to receive an honorarium at a daily rate of £337. Travel and other reasonable expenses (including GP locum costs) that might be incurred in carrying out work on behalf of AWMSG can also be claimed from the AWMSG within the recognised limits. You may also be eligible to claim reimbursement for costs in relation to child care/care of the elderly/assistant carer, whilst carrying out work on behalf of the AWMSG.|
|Time Requirements:||The Chair will be expected to be available to work a minimum of 30 days per year as the AWMSG will meet at least 10 times a year. This will include attendance at the monthly AWMSG Steering Committee Meetings and other ad hoc meetings as required.|
Closed for Applications
12/07/2021 at 16:00
Final Interview Date
Andrew Evans Added 07/06/2021
Chief Pharmaceutical Officer, Welsh Government • Departmental Official
Rosetta Plummer Added 07/06/2021
Independent Member • Independent Member
Susan Goodfellow Added 07/06/2021
Quality Improvement Skills Training Lead at Health Education Improvement Wales (HEIW) • Other Panel Member
Professor Ceri Phillips (outgoing chair) Added 07/06/2021
Deputy Chief Executive, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board • Representative of Organisation
The appointed Chair will:
– Play a key role in shaping the medicine management agenda in Wales, and the implementing AWMSG’s prescribing strategy;
– Provide strategic direction to the NHS in Wales and all key stakeholders;
– Play a critical role in ensuring the work of the All Wales Therapeutics and Toxicology Centre (AWTTC) supports the Committee and NHS Wales in achieving their strategic objectives;
– Be instrumental in developing innovative partnerships which benefit patients;
– Achieve best outcomes from the use of medicines in Wales;
– Chair up to ten AWMSG meetings each year and be a member of the AWMSG Steering Committee which meets monthly; and
– Responsible for appointment and appraisal of Steering Group members.
Other aspects of the role:
– Regular meetings with key stakeholder organisations e.g. ABPI Cymru, Heads of Pharmacy, Health Technology Wales, NICE;
– Bi-monthly liaison with Welsh Government officials; and
– Regular liaison with Cardiff and Vale University Health Board Head of Pharmacy – as line manager of the All Wales Therapeutics and Toxicology Centre (AWTTC) staff *
* AWTTC provides the secretariat, pharmaceutical, clinical and health economics support to AWMSG, its sub-groups and NHS Wales in achieving their strategic objectives.
To be considered, you must be able to demonstrate that you have the qualities, skills and experience to meet all the essential criteria for appointment. In addition you must be able to evidence the personal attributes and skills as listed below.
– An interest in, and knowledge of the National Health Service and how it operates in Wales along with a detailed knowledge of pharmaceutical issues affecting patients;
– A persuasive communicator, capable of effectively chairing meetings and supporting the development of committees;
– A proven ability of providing effective and visible leadership skills;
– Ability to demonstrate inclusive leadership and a clear understanding and commitment to diversity and inclusion ;
– An ability to understand of the importance of high standards in public life and of the importance of patient and public engagement; and
– A proven track record of success or achievement in the public, voluntary or private sectors.
Personal Attributes and Skills
– Ability to motivate and inspire staff;
– Good communication skills;
– Engage with staff and staff representatives at all levels within the organisation; and
– Drive and determination, with the ability to instil vision and develop defined strategies to pursue long and short-term goals.
Welsh language skills are desirable but not essential for the role of Chair.
For further information regarding the selection process, please contact:
Public Appointments Team
Public Bodies Unit
For further information regarding the role of the AWMSG and the role of Chair please
contact Darren Ormond on:
If you need any further assistance in applying for this role, please contact
For further information about Public Appointments in Wales, please visit
How to Apply
To apply for this role, click on the ‘Apply’ button on the Welsh Government online recruitment centre. The first time you apply for a post, you will need to complete a registration form for the Welsh Government’s online application system. You will only need to register once, and you will be able to keep yourself updated on the progress of your application, and any other applications you make, via your registered account.
Once you’ve registered, you’ll be able to access the application form. To apply you will need to submit two supporting documents. The first, a document outlining how your knowledge, skills and experiences meet the criteria for the role as outlined in the information for candidates. This document should be no more than 2 sides of A4. Your application may be rejected if you exceed this limit. The second document is a full, up to date CV. The two documents should be uploaded to the ‘Reasons for applying’ section of the online application form.
In your application, you will also be asked to provide details of any activities which have helped you to develop skills that would be useful in a public appointment role, and list the organisations for which you undertook these activities. We also need to know about any political activity that you’ve undertaken over the last 5 years.
It is recommended that you register for an account and access the application form as soon as possible so that you see how the application form is structured, before starting to prepare your evidence. You don’t have to complete the application form all in one go. You can save your responses, and log in and out as required, until you’re ready to submit – just follow the guidance in the application form.
If you’d like to apply for this opportunity in Welsh, please use the ‘Newid Iaith / Change Language’ link at the top of this page, to take you to the Welsh version of this advert, from which you can apply in Welsh.
If you need any further assistance in applying for this role, please contact the Welsh Government’s Public Appointments Team on: PublicAppointments@gov.wales.
|AWMSG Chair - Information for Candidates - English|
|AWMSG Chair - Information for Candidates - Welsh|