Chair of Consumer Council for Water
|Body:||Consumer Council for Water (CCW)|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs|
|Sectors:||Environment, Food & Rural Affairs|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Time Requirements:||2 days per week|
Closed for Applications
07/01/2019 at 12:00
Final Interview Date
Sebastian Catovsky Added 22/11/2018
Deputy Director, water Services • Departmental Official
Political Activity None Notes -
Efiona Willams Added 22/11/2018
Welsh Governement -Head of Water Branch • Other Panel Member
Political Activity None Notes -
Charlotte Black Added 22/11/2018
Company Director • Independent Member
Political Activity Yes Notes Conservative
The Chair has the following leadership responsibilities:
• lead on formulation of the Council’s strategy;
• leading the board in its relationship with the Executive, providing support but constructively challenging where necessary;
• acting as the public face of CCWater to raise its profile not only with consumers but also policy makers and government;
• campaigning on behalf of consumers and championing their views to Ofwat, policy makers and Government;
• ensuring that the board, in reaching decisions, takes proper account of guidance provided by Welsh ministers and/or the Secretary of State of appropriate departments;
• promoting the efficient and effective use of staff and other resources; and
• delivering high standards of regularity and propriety;
The Chair also has an obligation to ensure that:
• The work of the board and its members are reviewed and are working effectively;
• The board has a balance of skills appropriate to directing CCWater’s business, as set out in legislation and the Government Code of Practice on Corporate Governance;
• Board members are fully briefed on terms of appointment, duties, rights and responsibilities;
• He or she, together with the other board members, receives appropriate training on financial management and reporting requirements and on any differences that may exist between private and public sector practice;
• The performance of individual board members is assessed on an annual basis and when being considered for re-appointment;
• There is a code of practice for board members in place consistent with the Cabinet Office model Code of Conduct for Board Members; and
• Ensure the Board and Staff are aware of the specific legislative and regulatory framework in Wales, that CCWater engages effectively with the Welsh Government, Welsh customers, and operates in accordance with the Welsh Language.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate how they meet the following essential criteria:
• Strong, visible and effective leadership with an ability to lead an organisation through a period of significant operational and cultural change;
• The ability to raise the profile of an organisation, both to the public and stakeholders and to act as its public face advocating the work that it does.
• A collaborative approach with the ability to manage and maintain successful relationships with all levels of government, business and local stakeholders.
• The ability to effectively communicate the views of consumers to water companies, fellow regulators and central government.
• Sound knowledge and expertise in good governance at senior levels in a large organisation in either the private or public sector, and/or an understanding of working with government.
We actively encourage applications from individuals from a wide range of backgrounds. Defra is a Disability Confident employer.
How to Apply
All candidates are required to complete the following forms:
• Monitoring form 1 (Political Activity and Conflict of Interest Questionnaire)
• Monitoring form 2 (Diversity Monitoring Questionnaire)
Candidates should submit their CV with education, professional qualifications and employment history and the names and contact details for two referees, together with their statement of suitability.
The statement of suitability should give evidence of the strength and depth of your ability to meet the essential criteria for this role. Please provide specific examples to demonstrate how you meet each of the criteria (max two pages please).
Your CV and statement should be returned to the following address by the closing date:12.00 (midday) on 7 January 2019. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference APPT 12/18.Return to Search