Chair, HS2 Ltd
|Appointing Department:||Department for Transport|
|Sectors:||Business, Finance & Skills, Transport|
|Location:||UK (HQ in Birmingham)|
|Skills required:||Business / Commercial, Major Projects|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£200,000 per annum|
|Time Requirements:||3 days per week|
Closed for Applications
20/05/2021 at 17:00
Mid June 2021
Final Interview Date
Late June 2021
Bernadette Kelly CB Added 01/04/2021
Permanent Secretary, DfT • Departmental Official
Ian King Added 01/04/2021
Non-Executive Director, HS2 Ltd and Lead Non-Executive Director, DfT • Representative of Organisation
Charles Roxburgh Added 01/04/2021
Second Permanent Secretary, HM Treasury • Other Panel Member
Dame Alison Nimmo Added 01/04/2021
Senior Independent Panel Member • Senior Independent Panel Member
HS2 is a once-in-a-generation investment in the UK’s transport infrastructure. As Chair of HS2 Ltd, exceptional leadership and brilliant communication must go hand in hand with a proven track record in delivery, to help unlock the multiple benefits of HS2 and the great potential of the many people working on this project. The right candidate will have the opportunity to not only lead a project of unprecedented size – but to inspire others as we embrace lasting change for this country.
From boosting productivity to driving decarbonisation, HS2 remains at the forefront of the Government’s plans to fire up economic growth. Indeed, the transformational potential of the project is unparalleled. By creating thousands of apprenticeships and tens of thousands of skilled jobs, HS2 is at the heart of our plans to build back better from the pandemic, providing certainty at a time when people need it the most. Ultimately, this railway will bring our biggest cities closer together, providing a low-carbon alternative to cars and planes for many decades to come.
The Chair of HS2 Ltd is a challenging and unique role. This is a global search for a world-class candidate who will take on leadership of a project that is unprecedented in terms of scale, complexity, speed, and mission. This Role will require someone with the following qualities:
- Ability to lead a Board of a large organisation to grip major programmes, developed through comprehensive Board level experience. Maintain an effective and diverse board to support, challenge and hold to account an experienced executive team, ensuring high performance and robust risk management. Foster confidence in the organisation’s capability to deliver a culture where delivery to cost and schedule is paramount whilst retaining an unwavering commitment to safety.
- Politically astute both in managing relationships and in building support amongst a range of diverse stakeholders. Able to build the confidence of and provide assurance to Government and Ministers in the delivery of a transformational infrastructure programme. Encourage a culture of collaboration, openness and transparency.
- Excellent stakeholder engagement and communication skills. Proven ability to build and maintain complex partnerships, bring stakeholders together and build consensus around high priority interventions. Adept with media handling, comfortable in the media spotlight and an effective advocate for the strategic case for HS2.
Experience in the infrastructure, transport, construction and regeneration / development sectors would be preferred and particularly relevant, however we are very open and keen to receive applications from experienced leaders across a range of other sectors.
It is vital for the programme that HS2 Ltd have a Chair with a blend of these qualities to realise the full benefits that HS2 Ltd will unlock, in particular across levelling-up, skills and jobs, helping to grow the economic prosperity of communities, and driving decarbonisation.
How to Apply
If you wish to apply for these positions, please supply the following:
▪ A CV setting out your career history and including details of any professional qualifications.
▪ A short supporting statement (maximum two sides A4, minimum 11 font) giving evidence of the strength and depth of your ability to meet the criteria of the role and required specialism(s). Please provide specific examples.
▪ In addition, you are expected to complete and return via email the supporting documentation form attached separately, relating to referees, diversity, nationality, political activity and conflicts of interest.
Completed applications should be emailed to HS2@kornferry.com by the closing date of 5pm on Thursday 20th May.
If you have any queries about this role, please contact Nick.Rose@KornFerry.com
|HS2 Chair - Candidate Pack|
|Supporting Documentation Form - HS2 Chair|