Chair - Hybu Cig Cymru (HCC) / Meat Promotion WalesClosed
|Body:||Hybu Cig Cymru (HCC) / Meat Promotion Wales|
|Appointing Department:||Welsh Government|
|Sector:||Environment, Food & Rural Affairs|
|Location:||Board meetings are usually held in Aberystwyth with industry meetings, briefings, events and shows taking place across Wales, the UK and possibly worldwide. During the Covid 19 pandemic, meetings will be held virtually. Future meetings will be held in line with Welsh Government guidance.|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||The remuneration for the position of Chair has been agreed by Public Sector Pay Reward and Recognition, Public Bodies Unit as £350 per day (maximum commitment of 72 days per annum). Travel and other reasonable expenses might be incurred in carrying out work for HCC can be claimed from HCC within the recognised limits. You may also be eligible to claim reimbursement for costs in relation to child care/care of the elderly/assistant carer, whilst carrying out work on behalf of HCC.|
|Time Requirements:||72 days per annum|
Closed for Applications
21/10/2020 at 16:00
Final Interview Date
Mark Alexander Added 30/09/2020
Head of Agriculture, Sustainable Development Division, Welsh Government • Departmental Official
Kevin Roberts Added 30/09/2020
Current Chair of HCC • Representative of Organisation
Dr Nerys Llewellyn Added 30/09/2020
Managing Partner of Agri Advisor • Independent Member
The Chair of Hybu Cig Cymru (HCC) is being recruited during a time of considerable change for the farming industry.
The HCC Chair is primarily responsible for leading the Board of non-executive Directors and ensuring the effectiveness of HCC. The HCC Chair provides leadership and governance to HCC and performs the important role of scrutinising all of HCC’s investments and activities.
The Chief Executive has responsibility as Accounting Officer for the operation of HCC. As a Welsh Government Sponsored Body, HCC is required to comply with the provisions of Managing Welsh Public Money.
The key responsibilities of Chair of HCC are as follows:
- Lead the Board in the delivery of the ‘Vision 2025 – Vision and Strategic Direction for the Welsh Red Meat Sector to 2025’;
- Lead on the development of the HCC Corporate Plan and the HCC Operational Plan through the Board;
- Provide leadership for an industry-wide ambition to increase productivity sustainably, in the context of significant farming policy reform, an ambitious global trade agenda, and the challenges of both contributing to net zero greenhouse gas emissions and adapting to climate change;
- Play a key role in promoting the views of HCC to the public, Chair Board meetings and lead Sub-Committees of the Board to ensure their effectiveness;
- Ensure systems are in place to monitor the effectiveness of the Board and all Board Members have accurate, timely and clear information on the company’s performance;
- Maintain sound corporate governance and ensure all activities are discharged with probity and propriety as required of an organisation expending public monies; and
- Ensure effective arrangements are in place to provide assurance on risk management, governance and internal control. The Board is expected to assure itself of the effectiveness of the internal control and risk management systems.
To be considered, you must be able to demonstrate you have the qualities, skills and experience to meet all the essential criteria for appointment:
Leadership, team working and communication skills
- Comprehensive understanding of inclusive leadership;
- Excellent communication and influencing skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate;
- Ability to manage a group with diverse opinions and lead them to making effective decisions and developing coherent policies;
- Promote equality and diversity with communities and respective stakeholders; and
- Skills and ability to communicate clearly and convincingly within the organisation and with stakeholders, the media and a range of public and private sector organisations.
Appreciation of the agriculture and wider industry needs
- Be able to demonstrate an appreciation of the issues facing the industry and Welsh red meat levy payers;
- Have knowledge of or have an ability to grasp issues relevant to the Welsh red meat supply chain; and
- Good interpersonal skills, able to develop sound relationships with Red Meat Levy payers, wider stakeholders and others.
- Ability to think strategically and develop a long-term vision for the organisation;
- An understanding of corporate governance and HCC Board’s role and remit, ensuring they discharge their roles with probity and propriety;
- Understand the wider strategic context and takes account of this when making decisions; and
- Ability to analyse highly complex information.
The Welsh Government acknowledges the importance of developing and growing bilingual capabilities in public appointments in Wales, and welcomes applications from candidates who demonstrate their capability to work in both English and Welsh. The following list of language requirements represents an objective assessment by the recruiting body of the Welsh language skills required to undertake the duties of this particular post.
|Chair - Hybu Cig Cymru (HCC) - Meat Promotion Wales - Information Pack for Candidates (E)|
|Cadeirydd - Hybu Cig Cymru (HCC) - Meat Promotion Wales - Information Pack for Candidates (W)|