Chair of Intellectual Property Office Steering BoardAnnounced
|Body:||Intellectual Property Office|
|Appointing Department:||Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy|
|Sector:||Business, Finance & Skills|
|Skills required:||Business / Commercial|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£450 per day, capped at £10,000 per annum. Reasonable travel and subsistence expenses will be reimbursed.|
|Time Requirements:||22 days per year. Any additional days worked will be on a voluntary basis.|
An announcement has been made on the outcome of this appointment.
The Intellectual Property Office is pleased to announce the appointment of Tim Suter as the new chair of its Steering Board with immediate effect.
Date: 22/05/2018View Announcement
Closed for Applications
Final Interview Date
to be announce mid May 18
Chair of Land Registry Board • Other Panel Member
Deputy Director Business Innovation Directorate • Departmental Official
Dr. Alison Fraser-Walker
We are seeking to appoint a Chair of the Intellectual Property Steering Board.
The Intellectual Property Office Steering Board is responsible for advising the CEO and Minister on the overall direction and policies of the IPO. It ensures the IPO delivers on its strategic priorities and that resources are allocated effectively for their delivery. The Steering Board also regularly reviews the management and performance of the IPO and ensures high standards of corporate governance are maintained at all times.
The role of Chair is an important one and demands effective strategic leadership of the Board and the ability to speak on its behalf. The Chair will work closely with the full-time Chief Executive, who is the IPO’s Accounting Officer.
The Chair has particular responsibility for providing strategic leadership on matters including:
- Leading the Board by enabling a high standard of discussion and debate, helping to steer the IPO by facilitating collective working and ensuring systems are in place to provide Board members with appropriate support and timely, relevant information required for them to perform their role.
- Lead the Board in supporting the Executive Team in setting the strategic direction of the organisation, including advising on organisational targets and priorities.
- Leading on the appointment, induction, succession and assessment of non-Executive Board Members to ensure an appropriate and relevant balance of skills.
- Ensuring formal, annual evaluation of the Board’s performance and that of its committees and of individual Board members.
- Working in partnership with the Chief Executive as an ambassador and representative on the IPO’s behalf.
- Ensuring the Board both supports and holds the Executive Team to account for the IPO’s performance.
- Providing Minister and BEIS Sponsor with the Board’s perspective on strategic matters and other relevant issues as required. This includes being actively involved in the appointment (if relevant) and performance of the Chief Executive.
- Ensuring that the Steering Board, when providing strategic direction, takes proper account of guidance provided by the Minister and Secretary of State for BEIS.
The Chair and Non-Executive Directors collectively provide a valuable external perspective to the organisation. They provide influence and access to networks which the organisation would otherwise not have. The Non-Executive Directors do not have a role in policy making, but are able to bring an external challenge. We are seeking applications from individuals with senior strategic level experience from either the public or private sector with insight into, and experience of, leading a board of senior professionals ensuring a high level of engagement and performance.
We are seeking applications from individuals with senior strategic level experience. Applicants are invited from both public and commercial settings with insight into, and experience of, leading a board of senior professionals, ensuring high levels of engagement and performance.
It is important that successful applicant can demonstrate the ability and credibility to lead and chair the Board, encourage engagement and drive performance. In particular, the role demands;
- Board level experience in either a public or commercial sector organisation, including experience of risk management and governance at a strategic level.
- Strong strategic, analytical and commercial skills and judgement.
- The ability to think innovatively, to challenge the norm and support a culture of organisational and behavioural change.
- An ability to build relationships with executive colleagues and a clear understanding of the role of the executive versus that of non-executive.
- An excellent communicator to drive effective teamwork, challenge constructively and show diplomacy and independence with stakeholders at all levels.
A general understanding and appreciation of the values and role of the public sector, the IPO, intellectual property and its contribution to innovation and growth.
Reasonable travel and subsistence expenses will be reimbursed.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is 31 March, 2017 at 23.00.
Please submit the following documents by email to
– A covering letter.
– A CV.
– A completed Candidate Application Form
Please ensure that you include “Intellectual Property Office (IPO), Chair of Steering Board” in the subject box of your email.
Alternatively, you can send your application in hard copy to:
Central Appointments and Remuneration Team
Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
7th Floor, Spur 2
1 Victoria Street
Documents can be provided in other formats on request.
|IPO Chair Candidate Application Pack|