Chair - NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) ref: VAC-1787Closed
|Body:||NHS Business Services Authority|
|Appointing Department:||Department of Health|
|Location:||Meetings will take place in Newcastle, or online|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||63,000 per annum.|
|Time Requirements:||2 to 3 days per week|
Closed for Applications
10/11/2021 at 12:00
Final Interview Date
Steve Oldfield Added 18/10/2021
DHSC Director General and Chief Commercial Officer • Departmental Official
Melinda Johnson Added 18/10/2021
NHSBSA’s Senior Sponsor • Departmental Official
Matthew Gould Added 18/10/2021
CEO of NHSX • Other Panel Member
Charles Alexander Added 18/10/2021
Chair of The Royal Marsden Foundation Trust • Independent Member
Ministers are seeking to make to appoint the next Chair to the board of the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA).
Role and Responsibilities of the Chair
This is an opportunity to operate at national level and support the delivery of a wide range of critical business services to the NHS that have a tangible impact on people’s lives. The core responsibilities of the role are as follows:
Provide effective, visible and professional leadership to the Board in the pursuit of BSA’s strategic vision and underpinning business plans to support delivery of the NHS Long Term Plan and the Department of Health and Social Care’s priorities.
Chair Board and sub-committee meetings in accordance with BSA’s corporate governance framework, managing the interface between BSA’s Non-Executive Board members and the senior executive team and monitoring and improving the effectiveness of the Board and leading succession planning.
- Build and maintain an effective relationship with Ministers and senior Civil Servants on policy and government strategies to ensure the success of BSA and its business outcomes and set the tone for relationships with key partners, building strategic alliances across the health and social care system to improve efficiency and develop value add services ensuring the needs of service users, NHS staff, patients and the public are met.
- Operate impeccable personal standards and propriety in relation to accountability, governance, risk and financial management, ensuring the organisation has effective governance in place with robust internal controls and strong performance management systems.
- Ensure strategic commercial contracts entered into by BSA are robust, fit for purpose and will deliver the required outputs and benefits.
- Work collaboratively with the Department of Health and Social Care to provide ongoing assurance about BSA’s service delivery – in particular with regard to compliance with HM Treasury and Department of Health and Social Care requirements and ensure BSA exercises its functions in a way which is consistent with the duties of the Secretary of State.
Qualities required for the role of the Chair
The Department of Health and Social Care values and promotes diversity and encourages applications from all sections of the community. The boards of public bodies should reflect the population they are there to serve. Boards also benefit from fresh perspectives, and we are always keen to encourage candidates with private sector experience to consider applying for our roles.
To be considered, applicants need to demonstrate they have the qualities, skills and experience to meet all the essential criteria for appointment. We are particularly interested in encouraging applications from candidates with significant, high-level and relevant commercial experience.
- Successful leadership track record within a large organisation, service or system with an ability to chair the board of a significant national body.
- A passion for exceptional customer service and an ability to identify opportunities to improve business outcomes.
- First-class communication, influencing and negotiating skills, with an ability to command respect at the highest levels and develop partnerships that deliver lasting improvement to services.
- Financially astute, with a sophisticated understanding of commercially orientated performance and financial and contract management.
For full details, please refer to the candidate information pack.
|Candidate information pack_EXT|