Chair of the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB)Announced
|Body:||Department for Education|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Education|
|Sectors:||Charity & Public Sector, Education|
|Location:||The Board meets a minimum of five times a year at locations throughout the UK. The Chair will be required to undertake occasional travel to other CITB offices and colleagues and travel regularly to meetings with Government and stakeholders as an ambassador for CITB.|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||Remunerated to the extent of £22,500 p.a. All reasonable travel expenses incurred in connection with the role are payable by CITB.|
|Time Requirements:||The role requires a commitment of an average of one day a week. The appointment will be from April 2018 for a period of four years with the option to extend for one further year. Extending the post will be at the discretion and approval of Ministers.|
Closed for Applications
26/01/2018 at 12:00
Week commencing 31/01/2018
Final Interview Date
Week commencing 05/03/2018
Please note: This campaign has been extended for one additional week. This will have an impact on the date the panel will sift the applications.
Director - Careers and Further Education, DfE • Departmental Official
Political Activity - Notes -
Advisor to the Industry Training Board, Review and Government's former Chief Construction Advisor • Independent Member
Political Activity - Notes -
CEO - Build UK • Other Panel Member
Political Activity - Notes Industry Representative
|The importance of construction skills to the economy and the vision government set out for ITBs in the recently published Industry Training Board Review make this this is a very exciting time to lead CITB. We need an exceptional candidate that will quickly understand the needs of industry and government, and drive the organisation towards helping the industry attract, train and retrain the skilled workforce it needs.
The Chair and the Board will hold the Executive Team to account for the delivery of the organisation’s offer to the construction industry, provide inclusive and dynamic leadership to the Board of Trustees, ensuring that each trustee fulfils their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the organisation.
The Chair will also support and, where appropriate, challenge the Chief Executive and ensure that the Board functions as a unit and works closely with the entire Executive of the organisation to achieve agreed objectives.
He or she will act as a motivated and enthusiastic ambassador and the public face of CITB in partnership with the Chief Executive.
Strategic and Dynamic Leadership
– Operating within CITBs charitable objectives, regularly reviewing major risks and associated opportunities,
– Ensuring that the Board fulfils its duties to ensure sound financial health of the organisation, with systems in place to ensure financial accountability.
– Promptly addressing conflict both within and outside the organisation.
Internal and External Relations
– key members of the Government;
– the Chief Executive, ensuring s/he is held to account for achieving agreed strategic objectives.
– Key industry influencers, organisations and employers
Efficiency, Effectiveness and Driving Change
|In summary the CITB Chairperson will require the following skills, knowledge and experience, which will be tested through application and interview:
In addition to the qualities required of a Trustee of the organisation, CITB’s Chair must also have the following:
Knowledge and Skills
|CITB’s Chair (and Board members) will serve a four-year term and may be eligible to extend their term. This will be at the discretion and approval of Ministers.
Applications will not be considered from anyone who has been disqualified under the Charities Act for any reason including:
How to Apply
Completed applications should be sent to PublicAppointments.DFE@education.gov.uk by 12pm on the 19th January 2018. Alternatively applications can be sent via post to:
Public Appointments Team
Should you have any queries, or require any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us – PublicAppointments.DFE@education.gov.uk
If you wish to apply for this role, please enclose with your application:
- Your CV
- A supporting statement demonstrating how you meet the person specification
- Potential conflicts of interest (Annex A)
- Political activities (Annex B)
- Diversity monitoring form, please note this is on a voluntary basis and will not influence your application, the diversity monitoring form will NOT be seen by the panel (Annex C)
- Guaranteed interview scheme, if relevant (Annex D)
- All accompanying annexes can be found via links at the bottom of this advert.
- We will confirm receipt of all applications received.
- Please refer to the Centre for Public Appointments website for updates on this competition.