Chair of the Joint Nature Conservation Committee
|Body:||Joint Nature Conservation Committee (JNCC)|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs|
|Sector:||Environment, Food & Rural Affairs|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£40,059 per annum|
|Time Requirements:||2.5 days per week, which will include four committee meetings per calendar year (in March, June, September and November/December).|
Closed for Applications
Final Interview Date
Edward Barker Added 20/07/2020
Defra, Director of Natural Environment • Departmental Official
Keith Connal Added 20/07/2020
Deputy Director, Natural Resources Division, Scottish Government • Departmental Official
Madeleine Havard Added 20/07/2020
Independent Panel Member • Independent Member
Joint Nature Conservation Committee (JNCC) Framework Document provides the legal, administrative and financial framework within which the Joint Committee operates and the specific functions of the Committee and the Chair.
As Chair you will be responsible to the Defra Secretary of State for the leadership, direction and effectiveness of JNCC in line with strategies and plans agreed with Defra and the Devolved Administrations. You will be the primary contact with Ministers for the Committee.
You will provide visible leadership and vision for JNCC, setting strategic and operational direction, ensuring good governance and, together with the Joint Committee, holding the executive to account.
In addition, you will have the following responsibilities:
• ensuring that the Committee has the right balance of skills to deliver its functions and JNCC’s business;
• reviewing the work of the Committee and its members’ performance annually, and driving forward any necessary change;
• ensuring that the Committee, in reaching decisions, takes account of guidance provided by Ministers, Defra or Devolved Administrations;
• ensuring collaborative working between JNCC, the country conservation bodies, Defra and Devolved Administration bodies, and with other government departments, to make the best use of resources and maximise outcomes and benefits.
• Appointing a Chief Executive should the post become vacant;
• setting the Chief Executive’s performance objectives;
• setting the direction for the executive team and the tone and pace needed to deliver agreed strategies and plans, and responding to changes in the policy landscape; and
• promoting the efficient and effective use of staff and other resources to deliver priorities.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate all of the following essential criteria:
• Knowledge and expertise in a field relevant to the work of JNCC such as international or domestic environmental science, policy or operations and the ability to relate this to the wider social and economic context and to the ambitions of the four governments of the UK.
• The ability to provide strategic leadership of a complex organisation. This includes providing impartial advice and constructive challenge, alone and with Committee members, to ensure that JNCC provides high-quality, cost-effective evidence and advice to government and other customers; achieving reforms in response to a changing policy landscape; steering a strategy that extends funding opportunities; and visibly leading and representing JNCC, clearly communicating its strategic direction and purpose.
• The ability to provide strong engagement, partnership and relationship management, especially in an environment of multiple evolving positions, building productive and collaborative working relationships with a diverse group of senior stakeholders and partners within the UK and internationally.
• The ability to build an effective team culture and create consensus on strategic direction and practical solutions both within the Committee and in the way the wider organisation does business.
We actively encourage applications from individuals from a wide range of backgrounds. Defra is a Disability Confident employer.
How to Apply
All candidates are required to complete the following forms:
• Monitoring form 1 (Conflicts of Interest, Conduct and Political Activity Questionnaire)
• Monitoring form 2 (Diversity Monitoring Questionnaire)
Candidates should submit their CV with education, professional qualifications and employment history and the names and contact details for two referees, together with their statement of suitability.
The statement of suitability should give evidence of the strength and depth of your ability to meet the essential criteria for this role. Please provide specific examples to demonstrate how you meet each of the criteria (max two pages please).
Your CV and statement should be returned to the following address by the closing date: 12.00 (midday) on 3 September 2020. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference APPT03-20.
For further information about the role please email: email@example.com
|1_ JNCC Candidate pack.doc|
|2_Monitoring form 1 (Conflicts of Interest and Conduct)|
|3_Monitoring form 2 (Diversity and political activity form)|
|4_Public appointments guidance notes|
|5_Public appointments privacy notice|