Chair of the SEND System Leadership Board
|Body:||Department for Education|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Education|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£500 a day, plus expenses|
|Time Requirements:||Negotiable (5 days a month max)|
Closed for Applications
21/02/2019 at 17:00
Final Interview Date
Director, Disadvantaged Children and Young People • Departmental Official
Director of Council for Disabled Children • Independent Member
Strategic Director for Children and Adults' Services, Salford City Council • Independent Member
The newly formed SEND Leadership Board will:
- Clarify and communicate the principles which should underpin all SEND commissioning and the good outcomes we are seeking to achieve for children and young people with SEND.
- Encourage improved joint working, commissioning and planning by and between education, health and social care partners.
- Identify where partners can better share data, insight, guidance, good practice and peer support to help encourage improved commissioning and planning, working to alleviate the long-term high needs budget pressures.
The role of the chair will involve:
- Chairing and providing strategic direction to the board.
- Acting as a public advocate for joint working, strategic commissioning and planning between education, health and social care.
- Working with members of the board, to identify the insight, guidance, best practice and tools available to improve strategic joint commissioning and working.
- Working with and providing guidance to DfE, DHSC and NHSE on the products and tools they create for commissioners, to ensure they are effective, accurate and meet the needs of local commissioners.
- Engaging at a high level with SEND commissioners, communicating, sharing and embedding the solutions identified, to ensure that they work to improve joint working, planning and strategic commissioning.
- Engaging widely with families, providers, and voluntary sector organisations, through workshops and other events, to increase the board’s understanding as to how joint working can best serve these groups.
The chair will be accountable to the Minister for Children and Families, also reporting to the Minister of State for Care, in DHSC.
We are looking for a person who has:
- The ability to use authority, make decisions with, and set direction, in a board environment.
- A strong understanding of commissioning in Clinical Commissioning Groups and/or Local Government, and will have knowledge of the legal requirements in the 2014 Children and Families Act, in relation to SEND.
- The capability to understand the barriers facing local commissioners, and to be able to identify potential solutions and mitigations to the risks and issues they face.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to make connections and engage with commissioners from across the SEND system, and with families, providers and voluntary sector organisations.
How to Apply
We will rely on the information you provide on your CV and supporting statement to assess whether you have the experience required at the appropriate level. Please ensure that you provide written evidence to support how you meet all of the relevant criteria, which are identified in the role profile.
Please submit the following documents by email to:
- A Covering Letter (maximum of 2 pages)
- A CV
- Candidate Application Form
- Diversity monitoring form
- Guarenteed interview scheme (if applicable)
Please include the vacancy title in the subject box. Please submit your applications documents as separate attachments. We cannot consider incomplete or partially submitted applications.
Alternatively, you can send your application via post to:
SEND System Leadership Board
SEND, Alternative Provision and Attendance Unit
Department for Education
Great Smith Street
Applications will be acknowledged upon receipt when sending by email and post.
Please note, feedback will not be provided unless applicants are unsuccessful at interview.
|Privacy Notice - SEND System Leadership Board|
|Guaranteed Interview Scheme|
|Diversity Monitoring Form|
|SEND System Leadership Board Chair - Candidate Pack|
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.