Chair - Sport Wales
|Appointing Department:||Welsh Government|
|Sector:||Culture, Media & Sport|
|Location:||The location is flexible. The role will involve a blend of online and face to face meetings. Travel will be required to attend Board and other ad hoc meetings and events as necessary|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||The post of Chair will be remunerated at £337 per day. Travel and other reasonable expenses that are incurred in carrying out the role can be claimed from Sport Wales within recognized limits. You may also be eligible to claim reimbursement for costs in relation to child care/care of the elderly/assistant carer whilst carrying out work on behalf of the Board.|
|Time Requirements:||2 days a week|
Closed for Applications
Final Interview Date
Director - Culture Sport an Tourism, Welsh Government • Departmental Official
Senior Independent Panel Member
You will be accountable to the Deputy Minister for Arts and Sport for Sport Wales’ performance and for the delivery of strategic priorities. Developing and maintaining a close relationship with the Deputy Minister and key members of the Welsh Government is a crucial part of the Chair’s role.
- Provide effective leadership to Sport Wales and its Board, defining and developing its strategic direction and representing the views of the Board to the general public.
- Work with other members to discharge the functions of the Board which will comprise:
- Delivery of the Board’s corporate/business plan in response to the Deputy Minister for Arts and Sport’s Remit Letter.
- Ensuring that governance arrangements are sound and that there is probity and propriety in the workings of Sport Wales.
- Putting into action the Welsh Government’s policies and priorities including equal opportunities and diversity issues, by working with key stakeholders to ensure an integrated approach for the delivery of sport in Wales.
- Maximise the benefits from major high profile national and international sporting events by providing a sustainable sports legacy.
- Addressing the needs of sport both nationally and locally, taking responsibility for deciding how resources are deployed to meet Sport Wales’ strategic objectives.
- Supporting the Welsh Government’s efforts to increase levels of physical activity throughout the population of Wales.
Relationship with the Chief Executive
- Establish and build a strong, effective and a supportive working relationship with the Chief Executive, providing support and advice while respecting executive responsibility;
- Conduct an annual appraisal to ensure the Chief Executive is held to account for achieving agreed strategic objectives. Provide relevant training and development opportunities.
- Ensure that the governance arrangements are working in the most effective way.
- Build an effective Board, initiating change and succession planning for Board appointments through the OCPA regulated process;
- Annually consult with and appraise Board members on their roles and assess their performance;
- Plan, preside over, and facilitate Board and committee meetings;
- Ensure Sport Wales’ commitment to equality and diversity.
Communication and External Relations
- Act as an ambassador for Sport Wales
- Promote effective relationships between non-executive members, the executive team and staff within Sport Wales;
- Develop, manage and maintain good relationships with interested parties both nationally and locally. Interested parties include:
- Welsh Government
- Sport Governing Bodies
- Sports Associations
- local authorities
- local communities
- the business sector
- the voluntary sector
- elected community representatives
- the media
- Experience of leading a high profile organisation and able to provide continuity and stability to an organisation.
- An understanding of the benefits of sport and physical activity at all levels and a good knowledge of the sporting landscape in Wales.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to build appropriate relationships with all stakeholders, including Ministers and Government, Board Members, the press and media, drawing on a range of perspectives and lived experience as appropriate.
- A good understanding of Welsh public life and Welsh Government policies and values, in order to lead an organisation which delivers effectively for Welsh Ministers
- Have excellent scrutiny and analytical skills to support and challenge the Executive effectively, to ensure that Sport Wales meets its aims, objectives and performance targets;
- The ability to deliver an established strategy, supporting the values and behaviours of the Welsh Government and Sport Wales, including a strong commitment to the Well-Being of Future Generations principles;
- Act in a way that promotes high standards of propriety and public finance, ensuring Sport Wales achieves value for money within a framework of best practice;
- Lead the corporate planning process, including agreeing annual budget plans for operational programmes and corporate activities;
- Have a clear understanding and commitment to Nolan’s “Seven Principles of Public Life’;
- Committed to inclusive leadership and leading by example in a way which respects and promotes diversity and equality of opportunity. Ability to lead and foster an inclusive and diverse Board.
We would welcome applicants with experience in a related field, such as health, community development or education
How to Apply
To make an application please visit the Welsh Government public appointment website here Public appointments | GOV.WALES
To apply for this role, click on the Chair vacancy and click on ‘Apply’ at the bottom left hand corner.
The first time you apply for a post, you will need to complete a registration form for the Welsh Government’s online application system. You will only need to register once, and you will be able to keep yourself updated on the progress of your application, and any other applications you make, via your registered account.
Once you’ve registered, you’ll be able to access the application form. To apply you will need to upload a personal statement and CV to the ‘Reasons for applying’ section of the online application form.
|Sport Wales Chair Campaign 2021 - Information for candidates|