Companies House, Chair
|Appointing Department:||Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy|
|Sector:||Business, Finance & Skills|
|Location:||Meetings will mainly be held in Cardiff, although they may be held in other locations around the United Kingdom.|
|Skills required:||Audit and Risk, Business / Commercial, Change Management, IT / Digital, Major Projects, Transformation|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£27,000 per annum|
|Time Requirements:||Up to 30 days per year|
Closed for Applications
Final Interview Date
About Companies House
Companies House (CH) is an executive agency of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). Headed by the Non-Executive Chair, the Board currently comprises a mix of Executive and Non-Executive Directors. The Board is advisory rather than fiduciary and its principal roles are to ensure challenge of the executive team on behalf of ministers and BEIS, set the organisation’s strategic direction, and to oversee operational effectiveness.
The new Chair will play a crucial role in guiding the organisation through the next stages of its transformation, ensuring that core services continue while at the same time supporting both a cultural transition as the organisation shifts and skills up to take on entirely new functions, and supporting the development of new systems and processes as the Register moves to a digital default.
Further information about Companies House can be found here.
The Role of the Chair
The incoming Chair will lead a body that is undergoing significant strategic and operational change.
Companies House is embarking on a large-scale transformation, and the forthcoming Economic Crime and Corporate Transparency Bill will make the most radical changes to the company register since it was established in 1844 – reshaping the role of Companies House and enabling it to play a more active role in tackling economic crime.
The successful candidates will demonstrate the following:
- A strong track record of Board level experience as Chief Executive, Chair or Non-Executive in the private or public sector.
- A clear understanding of governance, with the skills necessary to chair a significant and high-profile organisation.
- Excellent influencing and communication skills, including the ability to encourage debate and challenge, and resolve conflict in a constructive manner.
- A strong leadership record on complex, multifaceted and multi-year transformational programmes.
- Stakeholder management skills and experience, with the ability to operate effectively within a diverse stakeholder environment.
- A good understanding of digital delivery and open data.
Prior experience at board-level of a major national organisation is not a prerequisite for the successful candidate since the existing non-executive team bring this experience to the board. Instead, Companies House would welcome applications from candidates that demonstrate the essential criteria above from a diversity of backgrounds, whether that be through board-level leadership, through strong small business experience or through technological experience.
Through their written application, candidates will need to demonstrate examples of experience matching the essential criteria described above.
How to Apply
Your application should be submitted in two parts.
Both parts must be submitted by 23:00 on 25th September 2022 in order for your application to be considered complete. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
Part one: CV and Statement of Suitability
- One document combining a two-page statement of suitability and two-page CV (no more than four sides of A4 in total). The key to a good application is to give the reader specific information about how you meet the criteria for appointment. Think about your knowledge, skills, experience and personal attributes, and take full advantage of the space available. Provide practical evidence that best demonstrates how you meet the essential criteria
- Save the document as ‘Surname, First initial – URN501 – Companies House’.
- Send to firstname.lastname@example.org with URN 501 – Companies House in the subject heading.
Part two: Diversity Monitoring and Conflict of Interest Form.
|CH Chair Candidate Pack PP FINAL 020822|
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.