Competition Service - Non Executive DirectorClosed
|Appointing Department:||Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy|
|Sector:||Business, Finance & Skills|
|Skills required:||Accountancy, Business / Commercial|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£400 per day plus reasonable travel expenses|
|Time Requirements:||12 days per year|
Closed for Applications
w/c 27/09/2021, dates subject to change
Final Interview Date
Dates subject to change
Alesha De Freitas
Panel Chair and Deputy Director for Consumer and Competition Policy at BEIS • Departmental Official
Registrar of the Competition Appeal Tribunal • Representative of Organisation
Lord Syed Kamall
The Competition Service (CS) is an executive non-Departmental Public Body of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), which was established to provide administrative and financial support and services to the Competition Appeal Tribunal (CAT).
The CAT is a specialist judicial body with cross-disciplinary expertise in law, economics, business and accountancy. Its statutory function is to hear and decide appeals of decisions taken by the Competition and Market Authority and economic regulators concerning infringement of UK and EU competition law. Its jurisdiction extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.
The Competition Service consists of the following members:
- The President of the CAT;
- The Registrar of the CAT; and
- One or more appointed members, (i.e. Non-Executive members). Further information about The Competition Service can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/competition-service
The Competition Service Board is responsible for establishing the overall strategic direction of the Competition Service, within its resource framework agreed with the Secretary of State, and for ensuring that high standards of corporate governance are observed at all times. It is responsible for ensuring the efficient discharge of the Competition Service’s statutory functions to fund and support the CAT.
Membership of the Competition Service consists of the President of the CAT, the Registrar of the CAT, and one or more appointed Non-Executive members. The membership elects its own chair. The member being appointed in this recruitment will be required to chair the Competition Service’s Audit and Risk Assurance Committee but will have no involvement with the judicial decisions of the CAT.
The appointee will have a proven background in business, Finance, Human Resources or Law, with experience at senior management level of handling corporate governance issues. Previous experience at Board level would be helpful but is not essential.
Please tailor your application to demonstrate the criteria of the role and should try to use specific examples where possible.
- The ability and temperament to work with a diverse range of professionals, in an open, inclusive and collaborative environment.
- Strong communication, influencing and interpersonal skills; in particular the ability to communicate effectively with senior professionals.
- Excellent analytical skills, judgement and sound decision-making
- A high level of strategic ability and a breadth of vision – in particular the ability to contribute to the formation and revision of strategic plans.
- Experience at senior management level in handling finance; an understanding of the Management of Public Money and/or a Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA)qualification are desirable;
- An ability to appreciate the sensitivities flowing from the judicial context in which the CS carries out its corporate functions and a commitment to an effective UK competition regime.
|The Competition Service Non Executive Member candidate pack|