School Teachers’ Review Body - Board MemberAnnounced
|Body:||School Teachers’ Review Body|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Education|
|Skills required:||Audit and Risk, HR, Major Projects, Regulation|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£300 per day|
|Time Requirements:||25 days per annum|
An announcement has been made on the outcome of this appointment.
There have been new appointments and reappointments to the School Teachers’ Review Body (STRB).
Dr Mike Aldred has been appointed as Chair. Remuneration is £350 a day for a time commitment of approximately 30 days a year.
Claire Tunbridge and Mark Cornelius have been appointed as Board Members. Harriet Kemp and Dr Andrew Waller have been reappointed as Board Members. Remuneration is £300 a day for a time commitment of 25 days a year.
All will serve for 3 years from 1 September 2021.
Details of political and other interests for all Board Members are available on the OME Review body members: register of interests.
The STRB makes recommendations on the pay, professional duties and working time of school teachers in England. The STRB reports to the Secretary of State for Education and the Prime Minister. It is an advisory non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Department for Education.
Date: 15/07/2021View Announcement
Closed for Applications
22/01/2021 at 12:00
Outcome communicated to applicants
Final Interview Date
26/04/21- Interviews will take place virtually, due to the situation with coronavirus.
15th July 2021
Please note that the closing date for applications has been extended by one week to midday on Friday 22nd January.
Deputy Director, Teacher Reward and Incentives, • Departmental Official
Dr Patricia Rice
Chair of the STRB • Representative of Organisation
Director of the Office of Manpower Economics • Other Panel Member
Deputy Director, Defence Team, Capabilities Unit, Cabinet Office • Independent Member
The School Teachers’ Review Body (STRB) is an independent body which makes recommendations to the Government on the pay and conditions of school teachers in England.
The STRB assesses evidence from Government and organisations representing schools and the teaching profession, and visits schools and local authorities to develop its understanding of issues facing teachers. In addition to providing recommendations on annual pay awards for teachers and school leaders, the STRB has been asked to report on a variety of matters in recent years, including moving toward a pay structure with higher starting and early career salaries and relatively flatter pay progression and providing additional guidance to schools through advisory pay points.
The STRB is now seeking to fill a vacancy, to:
- consider parties’ written evidence, views and proposals;
- take oral evidence from parties;
- assimilate information and data on pay, policy, economic, workforce and financial matters;
- weigh evidence and undertake independent analysis;
- formulate conclusions and make recommendations to the Government.
The STRB also meets with schools and local authorities to talk directly to teachers and school leaders and so develop its understanding of the issues they face.
Applicants will be assessed against the following criteria. In your application you should demonstrate clearly how you meet each of these requirements of the post.
- A strong track record of providing effective leadership at a senior level.
- A good knowledge and understanding of pay, remuneration, performance management, labour market and reward issues and a strong understanding of the policy, financial and operational constraints that impact on remuneration decisions.
- The ability to analyse and interpret a large amount of complex and sensitive information, providing insight and a working knowledge of the impact of any potential decisions on the workforce.
- An ability to communicate effectively in collective decision making, assessing/debating conflicting opinions across a wide range of perspectives and attitudes to form a coherent set of recommendations.
Further information on the STRB can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/school-teachers-review-body
Secretariat support for the STRB and the other seven Pay Review Bodies is provided by the Office of Manpower Economics (OME), a non-statutory public body. The OME is staffed by civil servants but operates independent of the Government. Further information about the work of the Pay Review Bodies, including Review Body reports, can be found on the OME website at: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-of-manpower-economics
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is 22nd January at midday.
Please submit the following documents by email to: PublicAppointments.APPLICATIONS@education.gov.uk
- A covering letter not exceeding two sides of A4 paper. (Arial size 12).
- A CV.
- Candidate application form.
- Diversity form.
Please include the vacancy title in the subject box and submit each application document as a separate attachment.
We are happy to accept applications in alternative formats from applicants who, for reasons of disability, may find it difficult to fill in our standard form. If you wish to have a chat with us about reasonable adjustments please contact us at: PublicAppointments.APPLICATIONS@education.gov.uk
Please note the following:
- we cannot accept applications submitted after the closing date;
- applications will be assessed solely on the documentation provided; please refer to the advert and checklist above to ensure you have provided everything requested;
- applications will be acknowledged upon receipt;
- we cannot provide feedback at application stage; feedback will only be given to candidates unsuccessful following interview.
|STRB Board Member - applicant pack|
|Candidate Application Form|
|Public Appointments Privacy Notice|