DEFENCE NUCLEAR SAFETY COMMITTEE - CHAIRAnnounced
|Body:||Defence Nuclear Safety Committee|
|Appointing Department:||Ministry of Defence|
|Sectors:||Defence, Science & Technology|
|Location:||London plus some travel to sites in the UK.|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£465.00 per day plus reasonable travel and subsistence expenses in accordance with MoD policy. NOT pensionable.|
|Time Requirements:||Approximately 25 days a year|
An announcement has been made on the outcome of this appointment.
SofS for Defence has appointed Professor Andrew H. Sherry FREng FNucI FIMMM Chair to the above Advisory Non-Departmental Public Body for a period of 3 years commencing on 28th July 2019 and ending on 27 July 2023
Date: 06/08/2020View Announcement
Closed for Applications
To be arranged
Final Interview Date
14th and 29th June 2019
06/08/2020 at 13:00
About the Defence Nuclear Safety Committee
The Defence Nuclear Safety Committee (DNSC) is the primary source of independent expert advice to the Secretary of State for Defence on all nuclear safety issues associated with the Defence Nuclear Programme (DNP).
The DNP has a scope covering the Nuclear Weapon Programme and the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Programme which encompasses Nuclear Submarines and the infrastructure used to support both programmes.
Terms of Reference:
To undertake an annualised programme of work to provide advice to the Secretary of State for Defence and senior officials in the Department on all safety matters pertaining to the DNP. The Committee’s work encompasses areas as informed by senior officials and includes security and environmental issues, where such issues have the potential to impact upon nuclear safety. The nuclear safety areas include; equipment and facility design, development, manufacture, and storage, in service support, handling, transport, operational training, operations, decommissioning and disposal, support facilities and capabilities, and the safety of workers and the public.
The Committee’s ultimate focus is assuring the Secretary of State for Defence about the soundness of the Department’s safety practices and safety management arrangements.
Role of the Chair
The Chair will lead the DNSC as it provides assurance to the Secretary of State for Defence of Safety in the Defence Nuclear Programme. This will include:
- Effective leadership of the Committee; providing guidance, steering and oversight of an appropriate annual work programme, incorporating any guidance issued by the sponsor or the Secretary of State;
- Ensuring that the Committee’s skill base is effective and diverse;
- Offering support and guidance to the Defence Nuclear Organisation (DNO) and tier 1 contractors on matters concerning safety;
- Acting as an ambassador for the DNSC and the intermediary between the DNSC and Secretary of State and other Senior Officials;
- Production of an Annual Report;
- Responding appropriately to complaints, if necessary with reference to the sponsor department;
- Ensuring that the Committee does not exceed its remit or functions;
- Ensuring that the Code of Practice on Access to Government Information (including prompt responses to public requests for information) is adhered to; and
- Being prepared to commit the time required to deliver the full programme of the DNSC.
The Committee will be assisted by MOD officials, including DNO. The Secretariat will be provided by Director Warhead.
It is essential that your application demonstrates the following:
- Experience of operating as a Chair of a senior Board or Committee operating in a complex, challenging and high-profile environment.
- Ability to demonstrate objectivity and knowledgeability of the Enterprise presenting no current Conflicts of Interest in areas to be covered.
- Strong leadership and communication skills with the ability to work effectively as a team whilst providing strategic direction to the Committee.
- Ability to create and maintain effective relationships with and inspire confidence in a wide range of stakeholders who have diverse interests in the Enterprise
- Confidence and authority to provide challenge and independent judgement across a large, complex Enterprise, leading to clear and effective decision making.
- Strong understanding or experience of working in the nuclear sector and understanding of nuclear safety or security where it impacts safety.
- Senior management experience of major research or industrial projects.
Fellow of an appropriate Institution
The Advisory Assessment Panel members are:
- Chair – Dr Paul Hollinshead
- Panel Member – Rear Admiral Tim Hodgson
- Independent Member – Stephen Penfold
None of the above have any declared political activity.
How to Apply
Please complete a copy of the attached Expression of Interest and Diversity Information forms and return them as e-mail attachments, (preferred method) along with a copy of your latest CV to: DBSCivPers-ResNONSTDAPPTS@mod.gov.uk quoting reference 18944.
You will receive an acknowledgement of receipt of your application within 2 working days.
The MoD run a guaranteed interview scheme for applicants who have a disability. A form is available in the attached documents for applicants to complete and return with the rest of their application that explains a little more about the scheme criteria.
For further information please consult the Candidate Information Pack which is also attached to this advertisement.
|18944_DNSC Chair Recruitment Applicant Info Pack-O|
|Guaranteed Interview Scheme Declaration|