Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy - Non-Executive Board Member
|Body:||Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy|
|Appointing Department:||Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy|
|Sectors:||Business, Finance & Skills, Energy|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£15,000 per year|
|Time Requirements:||30 days per year|
Closed for Applications
03/11/2021 at 12:00
w/c 15 November 2021
Final Interview Date
w/c 6 December 2021
w/c 3 January 2022
Rt Hon Kwasi Kwarteng MP
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
Lead Non-Executive Board Member
The BEIS Board sets the vision for the Department and guides its overarching policy. Board Members provide advice and challenge, based on business acumen and experience, to the Secretary of State and the Department’s executive team. The Board’s remit is set out in the Code of Good Practice for Corporate Governance in Central Government.
We are looking for a fifth Non-Executive Member to join the Board who can challenge conventional approaches to policy development, inspire innovative thinking and push BEIS to continuously improve.
In particular, we are looking for this appointment to have a dedicated focus on Energy and Climate Change. They will provide advice and challenge to the Department on its critical and diverse responsibilities for: reducing carbon emissions in homes and buildings, industry, and power; delivering the UK’s overall commitment to net zero emissions by 2050; and developing a long-term international climate change strategy to guide UK action over the next decade and cement the UK’s COP26 legacy. We expect the successful candidate to bring a whole system perspective – advising and challenging the department on how its activities interact with the diverse considerations within climate policy, across the whole economy and globally.
Given the Department’s cross-government responsibilities for achieving net zero, the new Non-Executive Board Member will also liaise with their equivalents in other government departments to identify collective opportunities for delivering the Government’s domestic and international climate goals
- Experience of operating at Board or senior level in the public or private sector.
- Understanding of and enthusiasm for the UK’s transition to net zero.
- Ability to analyse complex information to identify key issues/implications, make balanced judgments and effective decisions.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to communicate complex issues clearly.
- An appreciation of the political context in which we work.
- The ability to work well as part of a diverse team and take collective responsibility for decisions, as well as building and maintaining successful relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- An understanding of the key challenges faced by the public sector in the transition to net zero and the ability to bring their experience to bear on these challenges.
- Sound judgement and a commitment to the Seven Principles of Public Life.
- Experience working in the energy sector.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is 12 noon on 3 November 2021. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
To apply, please:
- Complete the online application form by clicking here.
- Submit your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure that you include “APPLICATION FOR DEPARTMENTAL BOARD” in the subject box.
Alternatively, if you would like a Microsoft Word document or physical copy, you can request this via the appointments team at email@example.com
Applicant packs can be provided in other formats upon request.
|BEIS Board NEBM - Candidate Pack - October 2021|
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.