DISCLOSURE AND BARRING SERVICE - TWO NON-EXECUTIVE BOARD MEMBERSClosed
|Body:||Disclosure and Barring Service|
|Appointing Department:||Home Office|
|Skills required:||Accountancy, Audit and Risk, Legal / Judicial, Regulation|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Remuneration:||Remuneration will be £12,000 per annum, based on 20 days’ attendance|
|Time Requirements:||20 days per year (possibly up to 30 days).|
Closed for Applications
w/c 4 November
Final Interview Date
w/c 9 December
Director Public Protection Directorate and Senior Sponsor of the DBS • Departmental Official
Dr. Gillian Fairfield
Chair of the DBS • Representative of Organisation
Richard Childs QPM
Police and NCA Remuneration Review Bodies members • Independent Member
The Disclosure and Barring Service is seeking two Non-Executive Board Members.
The first should have law enforcement and/or criminal justice expertise, and the second should have experience of audit committees, or be able to chair audit committees.
The main responsibilities as a Non-Executive Board Member will be to:
- Work with the Chair and other Board Members in setting the strategic direction of DBS, and ensure the DBS discharges its statutory duties in line with the requirements of Schedule 8 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.
- Hold the Chief Executive to account in managing the organisation and its delivery programme.
- Ensure that the Executive Team is held to account and systems are in place to enable them to discharge their responsibilities effectively, monitoring and challenging performance, finance and management of risk.
- Take a key role in representing the Board and the DBS in communications with key stakeholders and acting as an ambassador for the DBS outside of the organisation.
It is important in your supporting statement that you provide evidence and proven examples against each of the selection criteria in Part One only of the person specification, in so far as you are able. These responses will be further developed and explored with you if invited for interview, together with the other criteria listed in Part Two.
Part one – Essential skills and Experience
- Evidence of providing effective leadership in an advisory or senior management role, and the ability to participate in the formulation of policies and strategies within a large, multidisciplinary organisation.
- Ability to challenge constructively and influence decision making within a Board setting.
- Ability to analyse complex issues, particularly around people, financial and commercial management, and provide impartial advice at Board level.
- Capability to drive change, improve performance and manage risk.
- Ability to think and act strategically, developing practical, innovative and creative solutions to strategic issues.
- An understanding of the complexity and sensitivities of the fields in which DBS operate.
You must also demonstrate at least one of the following:
If applying for the law enforcement and/or criminal justice role
Experience of law enforcement / criminal justice in a senior role and in particular ability to liaise with key stakeholders in this area alongside ability to comment on matters relating to enhanced certificates.
If applying for the audit committee role
- Hold a professional accounting qualification and have experience of chairing an audit and risk committee, or be able to evidence the ability to chair such a committee
Part two – Personal abilities and behaviours
- Committed and goal focused, with the ability to set clear priorities and to contribute meaningfully to Board discussions.
- Excellent communication skills, coupled with a personal and professional demeanour that generates trust and confidence in others.
The successful candidate will be required to have or be willing to obtain security clearance to Security Check (SC) level. Pre-appointment checks will also be undertaken on immigration and criminal convictions. It usually takes between 4-6 weeks to obtain the security clearance. The role will be offered on a conditional basis until the successful candidate has passed all checks. The successful candidate will be encouraged to take up this appointment as soon as possible, subject to the successful completion of all pre-appointment checks.
|190930 DBS Board Members - Candidate Pack - FINAL|