Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency, Non-Executive Director
|Body:||Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Transport|
|Skills required:||Change Management, IT / Digital|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£13,100 per annum|
|Time Requirements:||Up to 30 days per annum|
Closed for Applications
Final Interview Date
Lesley Cowley Added 13/09/2021
Chair, DVLA • Representative of Organisation
Julie Lennard Added 13/09/2021
Chief Executive Officer, DVLA • Representative of Organisation
Rosalind Wall Added 13/09/2021
Co-director, Roads Safety, Standards and Services, Department for Transport • Departmental Official
Jacob Abboud Added 13/09/2021
NED, Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency • Independent Member
DVLA is seeking a Non-Executive Director (NED) to join its Board.
The successful candidate, through their membership of the Board, which is an advisory board, will provide challenge and support to the DVLA Executive Team. They will play a vital role in the effective strategic and operational leadership of the DVLA. The NEDs provide guidance, experience, opinion and governance scrutiny, and support the Chief Executive Officer to deliver DVLA’s strategic and business plans.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- prepare for and make an effective contribution to the DVLA Board and executive/NED meetings
- be able to dedicate time to stakeholder engagement and specific projects within DVLA
- maintain appropriate links to the DfT as part of effectively discharging the duties and responsibilities of an NED
- work proactively with the Board and objectively with government to:
- provide sound advice to the Chair and Chief Executive
- provide strong and constructive challenge to the executive team to ensure that policy delivery follows strategic direction
- collectively ensure that decisions made by the Board follow proper procedures and are supported by sufficient high-quality information
- support the Executive Team in discharging their leadership responsibilities to the DVLA
- ensure high standards of corporate governance and financial management and control are observed at all times
- work closely with, and hold to account, the executive team for delivery of the Agency’s Business Plan and budget
- build strong relationships with DVLA Board colleagues.
The post is based in Swansea, but the role may require occasional visits to other locations across Great Britain, and to DfT headquarters in London. The DVLA board work hard to build a strong team ethos, so some overnight stays will be required to give time for the team to come together outside of the formal monthly Board meeting.
The successful candidates will possess a good appreciation of the role of a Non-Executive Director, and they will understand and be committed to the pivotal role that the Board plays in the effective and efficient delivery of DVLA services.
They will clearly demonstrate independence of judgement and an ability to communicate with impact to provide constructive support and challenge.
Applications are welcomed from all candidates who can evidence the essential criteria below:
- Experience of working at Board level, commanding the confidence of stakeholders, including fellow Board members.
- Ability to challenge the DVLA to ensure that it is a truly customer focused organisation, based on proven experience in delivering excellent customer service to external customers.
- Experience and knowledge of effective governance at a senior level in complex organisations in the private/public/voluntary sectors.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to challenge effectively and constructively.
- The ability to lead and successfully deliver change: experience of leading change in a complex transformational digital environment using new technologies.
- Understanding and experience of IT leadership in an organisation of a similar scale.
- Ability to make sound, open, and impartial decisions and to employ complex problem solving, analysis and evaluation skills.
- A solid commitment to high ethical standards of integrity and honesty, and an understanding of the value and importance of the Seven Principles of Public Life.
- Demonstrable interest in the work of the DVLA and the challenges it faces.
- Strong track record of confidently engaging and working with senior stakeholders.
Desirable: In addition to the essential skills above, knowledge, understanding or experience of the following would be beneficial:
- Understanding of the car industry and potential for change in this sector due to technological advances.
- Experience as a Non-Executive Director.
- Understanding and experience of operational leadership and Human Resources management and leadership.
All candidates will be required to demonstrate in their written applications and at interview how they meet the requirements of the post. You must give examples in your application showing how in previous activity you have demonstrated each of the requirements.
There may be an additional allowance of £3,000 should you be invited to chair a subcommittee of the DVLA Board.
How to Apply
You will be required to submit the following:
- A comprehensive CV setting out your career history and including details of any professional qualifications.
- A short supporting statement (maximum two sides A4, minimum size 11 font) giving evidence of your ability to meet the essential criteria for the role. Please provide specific examples to demonstrate how you meet each of the areas identified in the person specification.
- A diversity monitoring form.
- Supporting document form, confirming your political activity.
To apply please follow this link.
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.