Expert Committee on Pesticides - Committee Member
|Body:||Expert Committee on Pesticides (ECP)|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs|
|Sector:||Environment, Food & Rural Affairs|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Remuneration:||£300 attendance fee and £150 preparation fee plus expenses|
|Time Requirements:||Up to 13 days a year|
Closed for Applications
28/04/2021 at 12:00
Final Interview Date
Weeks commencing 17 and 24 May 2021
Susie Willows Added 26/02/2021
Deputy Director, Chemicals, Pesticides and Hazardous Waste • Departmental Official
Professor Bill Cushley Added 26/02/2021
Chair of Expert Committee on Pesticides • Representative of Organisation
Professor Rod Blackshaw Added 26/02/2021
Deputy Chair of Expert Committee on Pesticides • Representative of Organisation
Dr Susy Bresica Added 26/02/2021
Head of Toxicology, Health and Safety Executive’s Chemicals Regulation Division • Other Panel Member
ECP Toxicologists (two posts) Ref: ECP 01/2021.
The UK Expert Committee on Pesticides (ECP) is looking for two new members to provide scientific advice to UK Government and the Devolved Administrations on the safe and effective use of pesticides and other pest control methods. These positions will become available from July 2021.
Candidates are required to have evidence for each of the scientific essential criteria to apply.
Scientific essential criteria
• Considerable scientific or other relevant expertise in toxicology and in experimental toxicology, with experience of a range of mammalian toxicity study types and their interpretation and an ability to relate experimental findings to human risk.
• Knowledge of risk assessment and risk management procedures relevant to human exposure to chemicals.
• Expertise in particular areas of toxicology such as carcinogenicity, reproductive toxicity or endocrine disruption.
Scientific desirable Criteria:
• An understanding of the regulation of chemicals in the UK and internationally, including the legislative requirements and associated guidance pertaining to the toxicology area.
• Be familiar with legislative requirements and the various supporting guidance documents and regulatory models that underpin the assessment of toxicology
General Qualities and experience
Applicants should have:
• An ability to weigh issues outside your own specialist area and to appreciate the impact that decisions may have on the sustainable use of pesticides.
• An ability to work well as part of a team, with effective communication, negotiating, judgement and influencing skills.
• An ability to clearly communicate complex scientific issues, combined with strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Some knowledge of communication of risk issues would be an advantage.
• Previous experience as a member of another (national or international) scientific Committee
Meetings are usually held at the Defra offices in York, however some meetings may be held elsewhere in the UK.
Due to current circumstances, interviews are likely to be held virtually.
How to Apply
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an information pack which includes the following which all candidates are required to complete:
• Monitoring form 1 (Political Activity and Conflict of Interest Questionnaire)
• Monitoring form 2 (Diversity Monitoring Questionnaire)
Candidates should submit their CV with education, professional qualifications and employment history and the names and contact details for two referees, together with their statement of suitability.
The statement of suitability should give evidence of the strength and depth of your ability to meet the essential criteria for this role. Please provide specific examples to demonstrate how you meet each of the criteria (max two pages please).
Your CV and statement should be returned to the following address by the closing date: 12.00 (midday) on Wednesday 28 April 2021. Email to email@example.com quoting reference:ECP 01/2021.
For further information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|1_Monitoring form 1 (Political Activity and CoI Questionnaire)|
|2_Monitoring form 2 (Diversity Questionnaire)|
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.