Expert Committee on Pesticides - Toxicology Member
|Body:||Expert Committee on Pesticides (ECP)|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs|
|Sector:||Environment, Food & Rural Affairs|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£300 attendance fee and £150 preparation fee + expenses|
|Time Requirements:||13 days per annum|
Closed for Applications
14/09/2022 at 12:00
Week commencing 19 September 2022
Final Interview Date
20 and 21 of October 2022
Rachel Mumba Added 08/07/2022
Deputy Director, Chemicals, Pesticides and Hazardous Waste • Departmental Official
Professor Bill Cushley Added 08/07/2022
Chair of Expert Committee on Pesticides • Representative of Organisation
Professor Edward Lock Added 08/07/2022
Member of Expert Committee on Pesticides • Representative of Organisation
Political Activity - Notes -
ECP Toxicologists (one posts) Ref: ECP 01/2022
The UK Expert Committee on Pesticides (ECP) is looking for one new member to provide scientific advice to UK Government and the Devolved Administrations on the safe and effective use of pesticides and other pest control methods. This position will become available from November 2022.
Applications are welcomed from individuals at all career stages, candidates are required to have evidence for each of the scientific essential criteria to apply.
• Considerable scientific or other relevant expertise in toxicology and in experimental toxicology, with experience of a range of mammalian toxicity study types and their interpretation and an ability to relate experimental findings to human risk.
• Knowledge of risk assessment and risk management procedures relevant to human exposure to chemicals.
• An understanding of the procedures involved in the regulation of chemicals in the UK and internationally, including the legislative requirements and associated guidance pertaining to the toxicology area.
• Be familiar with legislative requirements and the various supporting guidance documents and regulatory models that underpin the risk assessment of toxicology
• Expertise in particular areas of toxicology such as carcinogenicity, neurotoxicity, reproductive/developmental toxicity or endocrine disruption.
General Qualities and experience required
Applicants should have:
• An ability to weigh issues outside own specialist area and to appreciate the impact that decisions may have on the sustainable use of pesticides.
• An ability to work well as part of a team, with effective communication, judgement and influencing skills.
• An ability to communicate clearly complex scientific issues, combined with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Some knowledge of communication of risk issues would be an advantage.
• Previous experience as a member of another (national or international) scientific committee
Meetings are usually held at the Defra offices in York, however some meetings may be held elsewhere in the UK. Currently meetings are being held virtually
Due to current circumstances, interviews are likely to be held virtually.
How to Apply
for an information pack which includes the following which all candidates are required to complete:
• Monitoring form 1 (Conflicts of interest conduct and advertising Questionnaire)
• Monitoring form 2 (Diversity Questionnaire)
• Further details and requirements for of each of the roles
• Guidance notes
Candidates should submit their CV with education, professional qualifications and employment history and the names and contact details for two referees, together with their statement of suitability.
The statement of suitability should give evidence of the strength and depth of your ability to meet the essential criteria for this role. Please provide specific examples to demonstrate how you meet each of the criteria (max two pages please).
Your CV and statement should be returned to the following address by the closing date: 12.00 (midday) on Wednesday 14 September 2022 Email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the reference of the vacancy applying for.
For further information please email: email@example.com
|1_Monitoring form 1 (Conflicts of interest conduct and advertising Questionnaire)|
|2_Monitoring form 2 (Diversity Questionnaire)|
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.