Independent Member (Legal) – Cwm Taf University Health BoardAnnounced
|Appointing Department:||Welsh Government|
|Location:||Board meetings held bi- monthly normally at various locations across the UHB. The UHB also has various committees, the meetings which meet either bi-monthly or quarterly.|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£13,344 per annum|
|Time Requirements:||4 days per month|
An announcement has been made on the outcome of this appointment.
The Cabinet Secretary for Health, Well-being and Sport has agreed to appoint James Hehir as Independent Member (Legal) to Cwm Taf University Health Board.
Date: 05/09/2017View Announcement
Closed for Applications
Final Interview Date
Helen Arthur Added 16/05/2017
Workforce & Organisational Development, Welsh Government • Departmental Official
Dr Christopher Jones Added 16/05/2017
Chair of Cwm Taf University Health Board • Representative of Organisation
TBA Added 16/05/2017
• Forth coming Chair of Cwm Taf University Health Board • Other Panel Member
Cwm Taf University Health Board is responsible for providing healthcare services to the population of Merthyr Tydfil and Rhondda Cynon Taff, estimated to be around 289,400 people. They provide a full range of hospital and community-based services employing approximately 7,000 members of staff making them the second largest employer in the area. Their services also extend to people living in the neighbouring areas of the Upper Rhymney Valley, South Powys, North Cardiff and the Western Vale. In addition, some specialist services are provided to the wider catchment area of South Wales.
The role of the Board
The three key roles through which effective the board of the Cwm Taf University Health Board demonstrates leadership within its organisation are:-
• Formulating strategy.
• Ensuring accountability by holding the organisation to account for the delivery of the strategy and through seeking assurance that systems of control are robust and reliable
• Shaping a positive culture for the Board and the organisation.
The role of the Board member focuses on four key areas:-
• Strategy – to contribute to strategic development and decision-making
• Performance – to ensure that effective management arrangements and an effective team are in place at the top level of the organisation. To help clarify which decisions are reserved for the Board and then ensure that the rest are clearly delegated and to hold management to account for its performance in meeting agreed goals and objectives through purposeful challenge and scrutiny, and to monitor the reporting of performance
• Risk – to ensure that financial information is accurate and that financial controls and systems of risk management and assurance are robust and defensible
• Behaviour – to live up to the highest ethical standards of integrity and probity and comply fully with the Code of Conduct. Board members should demonstrate through their behaviour that they are focusing on their responsibilities to citizens, the organisations and its stakeholders
Independent Members will among other things:-
• Play a full and active role in the governance of the Health Board, both clinical and corporate. You will take an active part in discussions, providing your opinion and challenge and support to the Board on key issues.
• Contribute to the work of the Board based upon your independence, your past experience and knowledge, and your ability to stand back from the day-to-day operational management;
• Contribute and accept corporate decisions to ensure a joined up, robust and transparent decision making process by the Board;
• Be expected, in time, to fully understand the business through active involvement to enable the effective performance of the organisation;
• Work closely with other public, private and voluntary organisations and make sure that the views of patients, carers and families are fully involved in helping to shape, develop and improve services;
• Analyse and critically review complex information and contribute to sound decision making.
• Ability to contribute to the ‘governance and finance’ of the Health Board, ensuring it is open and honest in its work by contributing fully in the decision making process;
Independent Members will demonstrate the following qualities:-
Knowledge & Experience
• An understanding of health issues and priorities in the Cwm Taf University Health Board area and the ability to understand the role and work of the Board;
• Ability to hold the executives to account for performance whilst maintaining a constructive relationship;
• Ability to provide a knowledgeable, impartial and balanced perspective on a range of sensitive and complex issues;
• A broad understanding of the information governance requirements required to comply with legislation e.g. Data Protection Act (DPA);
Personal Attributes & Skills
The Health Board has defined a set of shared core values and behaviours – what the organisation stands for. You will need to be able to demonstrate the following:
• Good communication skills and the ability to engage with employees and employee representatives at all levels within the Health Board;
• Ability to work as part of a team and in partnership with other key organisations;
• Ability to involve and work with stakeholders to help shape, develop and improve services; and
• Ability to analyse and critically review complex information
To be considered, you must be able to demonstrate that you have the qualities, skills and experience to meet all the essential criteria for appointment.
Essential Role Specific Criteria
Independent Member – Legal
You will have to demonstrate:
• Ability to apply legal knowledge and skills in a strategic board environment.
• Ability to offer advice to the Board on a range of issues, which could include corporate, employment and contract law.
• Ability to provide advice to the Board on corporate governance including professional regulation.
• Ability to apply legal expertise to assimilate and interpret complex and unfamiliar information.
For further information regarding the role of the Independent Member, please contact Dr Christopher Jones, Chair of Cwm Taf University Health Board. Tel: 01443 744818 Email: Christopher.Jones6@wales.nhs.uk
For further information about Cwm Taf University Health Board, you may wish to visit the Health Board’s internet web site: http://cwmtaf.wales/
How to Apply
For more information or to apply go to www.gov.wales./publicappointments or for queries contact the Shared Service Helpdesk at the Welsh Government by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: 029 2082 5454.
|Cwm Taf University Health Board - information pack for applicants|
|Bwrdd Iechyd Prifysgol Cwm Taf - Pecyn gwybodaeth i ymgeiswyr|