Independent Reviewer of Prevent
|Appointing Department:||Home Office|
|Sectors:||Charity & Public Sector, Communities, Judicial, Prison & Policing, Regulation|
|Skills required:||Legal / Judicial, Regulation|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£140K pro rata|
|Time Requirements:||6 to 12 months|
Closed for Applications
Expected W/C 29 June
Final Interview Date
Expected W/C 27 July
Please note, the Government has adapted the recruitment process around the UK’s coronavirus restrictions while ensuring a fair and open competition. This includes planning for remote interviews. The closing date has now been extended to 22 June.
Olivia Grant OBE
Director General, Office for Security Counter Terrorism • Departmental Official
Chief Executive, Woodard Academies Trust (and former Director for Integration and Communities at the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government) • Other Panel Member
Executive Director of Place at the London Borough of Croydon • Other Panel Member
Do you want to play a key role in reviewing and improving the way we support and safeguard vulnerable people from being drawn into terrorism?
The Independent Review of Prevent will deliver on the Government’s commitment set out in the Counter Terrorism and Border Security Act 2019 and will critically examine and report on the Prevent strategy, as set out in CONTEST June 2018.
We are seeking a highly talented individual of unquestionable independence, integrity and credibility, who can demonstrate his or her ability to exercise sound judgment and analysis at pace and under pressure, with close public and ministerial scrutiny.
This is high profile and public-facing role, so we are seeking to appoint a credible and talented Independent Reviewer who is confident engaging with a wide range of interested parties, from civil society and community organisations, to Ministers and local practitioners. The successful candidate will have a strong and personal commitment to the highest standards of public life and be able to reach evidence-based and influential conclusions and recommendations for the future.
Your supporting statement must provide evidence and examples demonstrating each of the following selection criteria (which will be further developed and explored with those candidates invited for interview):
1. Independence: The Reviewer should be someone who can operate fairly and impartially in a political environment. The Reviewer must be independent of Government.
2. Expertise: The Reviewer should have senior experience relevant to the review’s subject matter, either in the field of counter-terrorism, or related policy areas. They should be able to demonstrate a good understanding of the contemporary issues and debates on the interplay between counter-terrorism, civil liberties and public policy.
3. Credibility: To encourage engagement with, and to promote confidence in, the Review, the Reviewer should be able to communicate complex issues effectively to a wide range of audiences in different ways, including through the media and public speaking. They should be able to develop and retain strong relationships across a broad range of stakeholders, including individuals and communities affected by the policy.
4. Analytical and written skills: The Reviewer will require demonstrable skills in analysing and critiquing a range of complex and often conflicting or incomplete information to produce evidence-based and well-written judgments and practicable recommendations for improvement.
5. Resilience: This is a high-profile role in a challenging field of public policy. The Reviewer will require the personal resilience required to operate calmly under pressure, with close scrutiny from the public, press, parliamentarians.
6. Integrity: The Reviewer will need to demonstrate high standards of corporate and personal conduct. This must include the ability to work on sensitive issues requiring the utmost discretion, and a sound understanding of and strong commitment to equal opportunities and the Seven Principles of Public Life, as set out in the Nolan Committee on Standards in Public Life.
The successful candidate will be required to have or be willing to obtain security clearance to at least Security Check (SC) level, and potentially Developed Vetting (DV) level. Pre-appointment checks will also be undertaken on immigration and criminal convictions. It usually takes between 4-5 weeks to obtain the security clearance. The role will be offered on a conditional basis until the successful candidate has passed all checks.
How to Apply
Please submit the following 4 documents, clearly labelled, by email to:
- A comprehensive CV (maximum two sides A4, minimum 11 font) setting out your career history and including details of any professional qualifications.
- A short supporting statement (maximum two sides A4, minimum 11 font) giving evidence of the strength and depth of your ability to meet the essential criteria for the role. Please provide specific examples to demonstrate how you meet each of the experience, qualities and skill areas identified in the person specification.
- Please complete and return via email the forms at Annex B, relating to referees, conflicts of interest and nationality.
- In addition, please complete the Diversity Form at Annex C. Please click on the link to the Public Appointments website for further information on recording whether or not you have a disability.
Please include the heading (Independent Reviewer of Prevent) in the subject box.
Please submit your application documents as 4 separate attachments.
Please note the following:
- We cannot accept applications submitted after the closing date.
- Applications will be assessed on the documentation provided. Please refer to the advert and checklist to ensure you have provided the necessary documentation. We will assess it based solely on documentation provided.
- Applications will be acknowledged upon receipt.
- Feedback will only be given to unsuccessful candidates following interview.
|Annex B - Supporting documentation 2020 - Final|
|Home Office Privacy Notice - Final|
|2020-05-29 - Independent Reviewer Prevent - Recruitment Pack Final|
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.