Independent Reviewer of the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration
|Appointing Department:||Home Office|
|Sectors:||International, Judicial, Prison & Policing, Regulation|
|Location:||Flexible. The team that supports the Independent Reviewer will be based in London 2 Marsham Street. It is the expectation that the successful candidate will make regular trips to London and other key locations.|
|Skills required:||Legal / Judicial, Regulation, Transformation|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||The role is remunerated at £130,000 per annum, pro rata|
|Time Requirements:||4-6 months|
Closed for Applications
Final Interview Date
Director, Migration & Borders Group, Home Office • Senior Independent Panel Member
Former Director General of Immigration Enforcement, Home Office • Other Panel Member
Colleen Harris MVO DL
Rosie Varley OBE
The Home Office committed to undertaking an independent review of the Independent Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration (ICIBI) in our response to the Windrush Lessons Learned Review to ensure we are more open to scrutiny, and learn from stakeholder feedback.
The Independent Review of the ICIBI will seek to identify ways to empower the ICIBI in its role in scrutinising the immigration system.
The Independent Reviewer will be wholly independent of the Home Office and will provide their final report to the Home Secretary. The Independent Reviewer will be accountable to the Permanent Secretary, via the Home Office Sponsorship Unit, for delivering their contractual requirements. The main role of the Independent reviewer: the powers of the ICIBI, and its scope, as set out in legislation including powers of publication and access to information; how the inspection framework is developed, who inputs into it, and whether this affords sufficient opportunity to spot systemic issues; and to consider any other changes that might be required to support the Inspectorate to deliver its purpose – including funding, resourcing, and capabilities.
The Independent Reviewer will be supported by Home Office staff, (ICIBI Review Team), based in London. The Independent Reviewer will not be responsible for management of the team.
The key responsibilities of the Independent Reviewer:
The Independent Reviewer will be expected to provide a report which seeks to address the issues touched upon in the Terms of Reference for the review and make recommendations for improvement and/or resolution of any issues identified.
Any recommendations should be evidence-based and proportionate, with consideration given to their implementation. A final version of this review will be presented to the Home Secretary, who will update Parliament on the Government’s plans accordingly.
It is important in your supporting statement that you provide evidence and proven examples against each of the selection criteria in Part One only of the person specification, in so far as you are able. These responses will be further developed and explored with you if invited for interview, together with the other criteria listed in Part Two.
Part One – Professional Skills
- A track record of leadership within large organisations and reforming complex systems, taking account of legal or regulatory frameworks.
- An awareness of how large organisations are managed (although not necessarily experience of managing such an organisation) and the context (financial and otherwise) in which they operate.
- Evidence of a strong focus on performance management, quality and performance improvement of processes and systems, and excellent analytical skills, with the ability to analyse complex information and provide impartial and objective advice which will stand up to public scrutiny and challenge.
- Experience of building and maintaining trust with a wide range of stakeholders, and ability to communicate effectively with diverse and challenging audiences, including politicians and the media.
Part Two – Personal abilities and behaviours
- Strong personal integrity and independence, demonstrating high standards of corporate and personal conduct with the ability to command public confidence and credibility, and to operate fairly and impartially in a political environment.
- strong communications skills both written and verbal.
- ability to manage difficult conversations and have effective conversations with a diverse range of people.
Candidates should hold Security Check (SC) security clearance initially and be willing to undergo Developed Vetting.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is 23:00, Monday 24 January 2022.
Please submit the following 4 documents, clearly labelled, by email to:
- A comprehensive CV (maximum two sides A4, minimum 11 font) setting out your career history and including details of any professional qualifications.
- A short supporting statement (maximum two sides A4, minimum 11 font) giving evidence of the strength and depth of your ability to meet the essential criteria for the role. Please provide specific examples to demonstrate how you meet each of the experience, qualities and skill areas identified in the person specification.
- Please complete and return via email the forms at Annex B, relating to conflicts of interest.
- In addition, please complete the Diversity Form at Annex C. Please click on the link to the Public Appointments website for further information on recording whether or not you have a disability.
Please include the heading (Independent Reviewer of the ICIBI) in the subject box.
Please submit your application documents as 4 separate attachments (and note that short-listed candidates will also be required to complete and return a separate form in relation to referees and nationality information).
Please note the following:
- We cannot accept applications submitted after the closing date.
- Applications will be assessed on the documentation provided. Please refer to the advert and checklist to ensure you have provided the necessary documentation We will assess it based solely on documentation provided.
- Applications will be acknowledged upon receipt.
- Feedback will only be given to unsuccessful candidates following interview.
|20211214 - ICIBI Reviewer Recruitment Pack - Final|
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.