Innovate UK - Executive Chair (Exemption)Closed
|Appointing Department:||Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy|
|Sector:||Science & Technology|
|Location:||London and Swindon|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£180,000 base pay & £37,500 performance related pay (LTIP), set aside over the three-year term in office, provided the appointment has not ceased before the end of the term. The bonus will be paid at the end of the three-year period.|
|Time Requirements:||This is a full-time role. Other working arrangements can be considered.|
Director, Industrial Strategy at BEIS • Departmental Official
Sir John Kingman
Chair, UK Research and Innovation • Representative of Organisation
Professor Sir Mark Walport
Chief Executive, UK Research and Innovation • Representative of Organisation
Sir Harpal Kumar
Representative of Organisation
Professor Dame Anne Glover
Leading the UK’s Innovation Agency
We are seeking an inspirational leader to lead Innovate UK as it gears up to take centre-stage as the UK’s national Innovation Agency. To enable the UK to thrive in the face of the challenges ahead, Innovate UK will need to seize the economic opportunities they bring, investing in innovative companies that will drive a productive, growing economy and a better society.
Since its founding, Innovate UK has invested over £2.5 billion to help innovation led enterprises grow and achieve scale. Their support for over 8,500 organisations has led to the creation of 70,000 jobs, with an estimated impact of £18 billion to the UK economy. The current budget will more than double to around £1.5 billion by 2020-21 through increased investment in the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund, the flagship intervention that forms a critical part of the Government’s overall Industrial Strategy.
The Executive Chair will be someone who can lead transformational change and drive a new and holistic approach to achieving Innovate UK’s mission, including – creating the right conditions for growth by driving greater business investment in R&D, and creating the right environment for new innovative businesses to thrive.
To take forward this ambitious agenda, we are seeking an exceptional and visionary transformational leader, capable of creating and catalysing new ideas, and with the pace and energy to deliver a step change in organisational impact. We welcome applications from national and international leaders from diverse and highly successful backgrounds in technology, scientific or R&D intensive businesses and highly accomplished venture capitalists and entrepreneurs.
The successful candidate will be able to command confidence and represent Innovate UK at the highest level of business and beyond and be able to demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- A highly respected senior executive of international standing with relevant experience of, and success in, leading significant business growth within technology, scientific or R&D intensive industries;
- An inspirational leader and communicator, able to command confidence in and have credibility across both the business community and the broader stakeholder landscape.
- An ability to develop and deliver a strategic vision for Innovate UK and UK business innovation generally through the development of high quality, value for money programmes built on a thorough understanding of and engagement with the stakeholder landscape;
- An ability to advise on major business trends which will have a significant impact on the Council’s role or activities and on its exposure to and management of risk.
Leadership and Management:
- Proven leadership and management skills with a deep understanding and experience of transformational change and evidence of having successfully led cultural change;
- Experience of managing and building capability of a cadre of skilled professionals and programme managers and able to inspire and motivate; colleagues at all levels in the organisation.
Breadth of Understanding:
- In depth understanding of current developments in the business-led innovation landscape both in the UK and overseas;
- An ability to understand and demonstrate the highest standards of business-led innovation and its wider relevance to and impact on the cultural, social and economic wellbeing of the country;
- A strong commercial awareness, with an in depth understanding of investments and financial products.
BEIS is committed to providing equal opportunities for all, irrespective of race, age, disability, gender, marital status, religion, sexual orientation, transgender and working patterns and to the principle of public appointments on merit with independent assessments, openness and transparency of process.
BEIS offers professional training courses on public sector finance and governance for those new to the public sector.
This appointment was cancelled.Return to Search