Lay Member for the Lord Chancellor’s Advisory Committee for Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire
|Body:||Advisory Committees on Justices of the Peace|
|Appointing Department:||Ministry of Justice|
|Location:||Nottingham and Derby|
|Number of Vacancies:||3|
|Remuneration:||Travel and subsistence allowance|
|Time Requirements:||At least one full Committee meeting per year plus taking part in the sifting of applications and at least 12 full-day interview sessions.|
|Closing Date:||28/04/2021 12:00|
This is not a ministerial appointment.
Volunteers are sought to sit as non-magistrate members on the Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire Advisory Committee. Successful applicants would be involved in interviewing and selecting prospective new magistrates, amongst other duties.
The successful candidate must possess:-
- good inter-personal skills;
- the ability to participate in selection interviews for candidate for the magistracy; good judgement of character and the ability objectively to assess evidence;
- the ability to communicate effectively; awareness of own prejudices and the ability to set them aside; discretion in handling confidential information; an understanding of or a willingness to acquire an understanding the needs of the benches served by the Committee;
- a willingness to talk about the magistracy and to participate in recruitment events;
- an ability to work as a member of a team; commitment and enthusiasm; and a willingness to undergo prescribed training.
Successful applicants must take part in a two-day training session before they can take part in the work of the Committee.
The interview of applicants and the training of newly appointed Committee members will be done online via Microsoft Teams.
Due to COVID 19 the interviews of prospective magistrates are also done online via Microsoft Teams.
For further information please refer to:
Applying to become a member of an advisory committee or sub-committee: notes for guidance” available at:-
The link below will take you to the Government’s webpage where members of the public who are considering applying to become a magistrates can find out further information:-
How to Apply
Candidate pack and application forms are attached.
Completed applications should be sent to:-
Reference Number: DNAC2021 (2)
|Part 2 - reference form for non-magistarte member|
|Part 1 - reference form for applicant-for non magistrate member|
|June2020 Application Form (for Lay & JP)|
|Diversity Monitoring Form 2020|