Member - Independent Remuneration Panel for WalesClosed
|Body:||Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales|
|Appointing Department:||Welsh Government|
|Location:||Meetings held in Cardiff and across Wales|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||Member - £198 per day, Members are also entitled to travel and other reasonable expenses within reasonable limits.|
|Time Requirements:||1 day per month|
Closed for Applications
17/07/2019 at 16:00
Final Interview Date
Lisa James, Deputy Director, Local Government Democracy
Daniel Hurford, Head of Policy (Improvement and Governance), Welsh Local Government Association
Other Panel Member
The Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales was appointed in January 2008 by the then Welsh Government Minister for Social Justice and Local Government following a public recruitment exercise.
The Panel is independent of central and local government and was established on a permanent basis initially to determine the range and levels of allowances payable by county and county borough councils to their councilor’s and co-opted members with voting rights.
The Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011 provided that there is to continue to be a panel of persons known as the Independent Remuneration Panel and extended its remit to also include community councils, National Park Authorities and fire and rescue authorities. The Panel’s remit was further extended in 2014, the Panel may make recommendations in respect of any proposal to change the salary of the Head of Paid Service (HoPS) and Chief Fire Officers as and when required.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of Welsh Government’s vision in setting the range and maximum level of allowances payable to:
- Elected members of Principal Councils
- Members of National Park Authorities
- Members of Welsh Fire and Rescue Authorities
- Elected town and community councillors
- The IRPW plays an important role in setting the range and maximum level of allowances payable by the local authorities to their councillors and co-opted members across Wales.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Panel is required to produce an annual report, which will prescribe the level of allowances paid to councillors and members of the organisations listed above. The Panel may produce Supplementary Reports at any time that it considers necessary. In preparing its reports the Panel is required to take into account the likely financial impact of its decisions on the authority in question. Panel members also consider any suggested changes to the salary of a Head of Paid Service and councils Chief Officers, as and when required.
Member’s role description
- Attendance at Panel Meetings
- Effective Communication Skills
- Ability to challenge constructively within the Panel
- Analysis and Use of Evidence
- Contribution to policy development through experience / knowledge of local government or other branches of public service – including the preparation of discussion papers/ report writing
- Understanding and commitment to equality issues and challenging discriminatory practices
To be considered, you must be able to demonstrate that you have the qualities, skills and abilities to meet all the essential criteria for appointment.
All Candidates should show evidence of:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing to individuals ranging from members of the public to senior leaders
- Ability to consider and analyse evidence from a wide range of sources and reach decisions based upon that evidence which are both fair and reasonable
- Ability to work confidently as both a member of the team and independently as required.
- An understanding and commitment to equality issues and challenging discriminatory practices
- Understanding of, and commitment to, the principles of public life (Nolan Principles).
- Ability to work in a politically neutral way. Desirable criteria for the Member role
- Ability to understand and speak Welsh
- Awareness of the role of Councillors and /or the work of local authorities, National Park Authorities or Welsh Fire and Rescue Authorities.
|Member - Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales - Information for Candidiates (Eng)|
|Member - Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales - Information for Candidiates (Wel)|