Members (x2) - Advisory Panel to the Welsh Language CommissionerClosed
|Body:||Advisory Panel to the Welsh Language Commissioner|
|Appointing Department:||Welsh Government|
|Location:||The Panel’s meetings will be held in one of the Commissioner’s offices (Cardiff, Caernarfon, Carmarthen, or Ruthin). It may be possible to join meetings through video conferencing facilities.|
|Skills required:||International Experience|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Remuneration:||The Panel member is an office holder. The appointment is non-salaried and non-pensionable. Panel members are paid £198 per day including training days. This fee may be revised from time to time.|
|Time Requirements:||6 days minimum per year.|
Closed for Applications
02/09/2019 at 16:00
Final Interview Date
The Welsh Language Commissioner (“the Commissioner”) was established under the Welsh Language (Wales) Measure 2011 (“the Measure”). Information on the Commissioner’s functions can be found on the website: http://www.comisiynyddygymraeg.cymru/English/Pages/Home.aspx
The Measure also provides for the establishment of the Advisory Panel to the Welsh Language Commissioner (“Advisory Panel”) which is appointed by the Welsh Ministers.
The Welsh Ministers are keen to appoint up to two new members to the Advisory Panel for a period of three years. The new member(s) will join the Panel’s 3 existing Members who have been appointed until 31 March 2021.
Panel Members must:
- be able to work independently and as part of a team;
- be able to offer advice to inform policy making processes and decision-making;
- have the capacity to assess a range of views and interests and take an independent view;
- be able to question appropriately the Commissioner’s approach to any issue and provide a source of external challenge and fresh perspective;
- have a clear understanding and commitment to equality issues and challenging discriminatory practices when appropriate; and
- have a clear understanding and commitment to Nolan’s ‘Seven Principles of Public Life’.
The Advisory Panel to the Welsh Language Commissioner (Appointment) Regulations 2012 makes specific provisions regarding the appointment of a Panel. The Regulations requires the Welsh Ministers, in appointing members of the Advisory Panel, to have regard to the fact that it is desirable that the combined knowledge and experience of the Commissioner and Advisory Panel’s members includes knowledge and experience of the following matters:
- corporate governance,
- exercising functions conferred by or under an enactment,
- promoting and facilitating the use of Welsh or another language,
- public relations,
- regulatory regimes,
- working in partnership with organisations in the public, private or voluntary sectors.
After considering the expertise and experience of the current Commissioner and the 3 current members of the Panel, the Welsh Ministers wish to appoint at least one new member with experience of working in partnership with organisations in the voluntary sector.
Given the close connection between the role of the Advisory Panel and the functions of the Commissioner, it is required that the Advisory Panel’s membership includes persons with knowledge of, and proficiency in, Welsh.
For further information regarding the role of Advisory Panel to the Welsh Language Commissioner, please contact the Welsh Government’s Head of Welsh Language Legislation on telephone: 03000 256333 or email: Alan.Jones4@gov.wales
If you need any further assistance in applying for this role through the application process, please contact the Welsh Government’s Public Appointments Team on email@example.com.