Migration Advisory Committee Member
|Body:||Migration Advisory Committee|
|Appointing Department:||Home Office|
|Sectors:||Business, Finance & Skills, Communities, Education, Health and Social Care, International|
|Skills required:||Business / Commercial|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||This role is remunerated £275 per day, based on two days per month. In addition, Members are expected to attend at least 80% of the full meetings (including workshops and other gatherings) held by the MAC per year. Exceptions will be permitted in case of illness or personal emergency.|
|Time Requirements:||An initial term of three years|
Closed for Applications
Final Interview Date
Director of Strategy and Design for Migration and Borders, Home Office • Departmental Official
Professor Brian Bell
MAC Chair • Representative of Organisation
Wade Lyn CBE
Independent Member • Independent Member
Do you want to play a key role in helping to shape the future of migration issues and support the interests of UK residents?
If so, you can do this by becoming a Member of the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC). The MAC advises the government on a range of migration policy issues, offering independent evidence-based advice, and its core statement of purpose is to:
- deliver high quality evidence-based, economics focused, reports and policy advice in accordance with the work plan set by the Government; and
- help ensure that Government policy and strategy in relation to migration and employment is based on the best possible evidence and analysis.
To date the advice of the Committee has included impacts of migration and the design of the Points-Based System. The MAC’s advice also informs the compilation of the Shortage Occupation List.
The MAC is looking for one Member whose responsibilities will include attending and contributing at MAC meetings; examining and challenging the assumptions on which advice is formulated (where required); and ensuring that the MAC has the opportunity to consider the available evidence on a given issue; contrary views and the concerns and values of corporate partners before a decision is taken.
We are looking for a candidate with a proven track record of delivering success, outstanding communication skills, and excellent political awareness.
This appointment will be for an initial period of three years.
To be considered, you must be able to demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- Experience of committee membership, or board level experience within commerce, or non-academic sectors.
- Ability to provide clear and specific advice, independent of government or industry.
- A good communicator with sound judgement.
- Senior business leader with understanding and experience of using the UK immigration system
- A good understanding of the UK labour market and immigration system, particularly for economic migrants.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to represent the MAC in public forums, such as at engagement events.
The successful candidates will be required to have or be willing to obtain security clearance to Security Check (SC) level. It usually takes between 4-5 weeks to obtain the security clearance. The role will be offered on a conditional basis until the successful candidate has passed all checks. The successful candidate will be encouraged to take up this appointment as soon as possible, subject to the successful completion of all pre-appointment checks.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is 23:00, 11 September 2022.
Please submit the following 4 documents, clearly labelled, by email to:
- A comprehensive CV (maximum two sides A4, minimum 11 font) setting out your career history and including details of any professional qualifications.
- A short supporting statement (maximum two sides A4, minimum 11 font) giving evidence of the strength and depth of your ability to meet the essential criteria for the role. Please provide specific examples to demonstrate how you meet each of the experience, qualities and skill areas identified in the person specification.
- Please complete and return via email the form at Annex B Supporting Document, relating to conflicts of interest.
- In addition, please complete the Diversity Form at Annex C. Please click on the link
www.apply-for-public-appointment.service.gov.uk for further information on recording whether or not you have a disability.
Please include the heading (Migration Advisory Committee Members) in the subject box.
Please submit your application documents as 4 separate attachments (and note that short-listed candidates will also be required to complete and return a separate form in relation to referees and nationality).
Please note the following:
- We cannot accept applications submitted after the closing date.
- Applications will be assessed on the documentation provided. Please refer to the advert and checklist to ensure you have provided the necessary documentation We will assess it based solely on documentation provided.
- Applications will be acknowledged upon receipt.
- Feedback will only be given to unsuccessful candidates following interview.
If you have any queries about this role, please contact Mac@homeoffice.gov.uk
|20220729 - MAC member - Recruitment Pack - Final|
|Diversity Information Form - Microsoft Word|
|Home Office Privacy Notice - Final|