National Citizen Service, 3x TrusteesAnnounced
|Body:||National Citizen Service|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport|
|Sectors:||Culture, Media & Sport, Education|
|Location:||Board and sub committee meetings will take place in the NCS' offices (West Kensington), or remotely.|
|Number of Vacancies:||3|
|Remuneration:||The roles are unpaid but reasonable expenses will be paid.|
|Time Requirements:||There will be four Main Board meetings, plus a strategy day each year. The sub-committees meet between two and five times a year.|
An announcement has been made on the outcome of this appointment.
Nick Hurd, Jacquie Nnochiri and Deborah Tavana have been appointed by HM The Queen as Board Members of the National Citizen Service Trust for three years from 1st January 2021 to 31st December 2023.View Announcement
Closed for Applications
w/c 31st August
Final Interview Date
w/c 5th October and w/c 19th October
Representative of Organisation
Professor Dame Carol Black
Senior Independent Panel Member
National Citizen Service (NCS) is a youth programme that runs across England and Northern Ireland. We exist to engage, unite and empower young people, building their confidence so they can go out there and achieve their dreams, no matter where they’re from or what their background is. Our programme is managed and supported by NCS Trust, our central team who are constantly working to make sure we deliver the most impactful experience we can to as many young people as possible.
NCS was established in its current form by the National Citizen Service Trust Act (2017) ‘to provide or arrange for the provision of programmes for young people in England with the purpose of enabling participants from different backgrounds to work together in local communities to participate in projects to benefit society, and enhancing communication, leadership and team-working skills of participants’ and is overseen by the NCS Trust Royal Charter Body. The NCS Royal Charter establishes the Board and sub-committees and its obligations.
National Citizen Service is seeking three Trustees with experience and skills at a senior level in the following areas:
- Experience and demonstrable senior leadership in the parliamentary/public sector (1 Trustee)
- Human resources specialist with commercial experience and a particular focus on people strategy, culture and coaching high performance teams (1 Trustee)
- An education leader with strong links to schools and young people (1 Trustee)
All Trustees are expected to bring the following:
- An understanding of and interest in the aims and objectives of NCS, and an advocate of young people with a commitment to promoting social cohesion, social mobility and engagement.
- Ability to perform as an effective and authoritative Board member, working collegiately with other Board Members and the Chair, and taking collective responsibility for Board decisions.
- Ability to bring a rigorous approach to achieving maximum impact and value for taxpayers’ money.
- Ability to apply strategic insight and constructive challenge to the Executive team’s plans across wide-ranging strategy, delivery and organisational issues.
- Ability and willingness to access and influence high level stakeholder networks and be an effective public ambassador for the benefit of National Citizen Service.
- Excellent diplomatic skills and an affinity for cultivating relationships and facilitating consensus among diverse organisations and individuals.
- A proven track record of programme and project delivery.
- Alumni of the NCS programme are particularly encouraged to apply for a position on the Board.
Membership of and contribution to Board sub-committees:
- Current vacancies require the public sector candidate to sit on the Audit & Risk Committee, the HR specialist to sit on the People and Remuneration Committees and the education candidate to sit on the Impact & Safeguarding Committee.
Collectively, Board members will be responsible for ensuring NCS effectively, efficiently and independently exercises its functions as set out in the NCS Act 2017, the Royal Charter and the organisation’s Management Agreement with Government.
Main responsibilities and tasks:
- Provision of high quality and impactful programmes for young people;
- Sustaining and growing a thriving delivery network;
- Demonstrating and delivering long term impact around social mobility, social cohesion, and social engagement;
- Meeting agreed key performance indicators around participation, quality, cost, and broad based support;
- Work with board colleagues to set the operational strategy to deliver ministerial policy objectives and provide advice, challenge, counsel and support for the Chief Executive and Executive Team in achieving NCS’ objectives;
- Scrutinise the Executive and support the Accounting Officer in ensuring the organisation uses its resources efficiently and effectively;
- Ensure that the views of stakeholders are taken into account in Board discussions and decisions.
All members of the Board are required to understand and embrace the seven principles of public life as defined by the Nolan Principles.
How to Apply
To apply, please send the following four documents:
- A CV of no more than two sides of A4; this should provide details of your education and qualifications, employment history, directorships, membership of professional bodies and details of any publications or awards.
- A supporting statement of not more than two sides of A4, setting out how you meet the criteria – please make sure you refer to the contents of this document.
- The Conflicts of Interest Form and the Diversity Monitoring Form. The Diversity Form will be kept separately from your application and Conflicts of Interest Form, and will not be seen by the selection panel in order to meet the Cabinet Office’s Governance Code on Public Appointments.
Completed applications should be sent to: email@example.com, please put ‘NCS Trustee’ in the subject title and indicate which of the three roles you are applying for (public sector / HR specialist / education).
To talk to someone about the trustee roles themselves, please contact Michael Devlin, NCS Company Secretary, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Rhianna Bridgewater, Campaign Manager, by email at email@example.com
We aim to process all applications as quickly as possible and to treat all applicants with courtesy. If you have any complaints about the way your application has been handled, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like a confidential discussion regarding any reasonable adjustments during the process, please also indicate this in the covering email or letter.
|Diversity Monitoring Form|
|Declaration of Conflicts of Interest Form|
|Public Appointments - Privacy Notice 2020|
|Code of Conduct for Board Members of Public Bodies|
|NCS 3x Board Members Role Specification|