National Library of Wales - Vice PresidentAnnounced
|Body:||National Library of Wales|
|Appointing Department:||Welsh Government|
|Sector:||Culture, Media & Sport|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Time Requirements:||18 days per year|
An announcement has been made on the outcome of this appointment.
Appointments to The National Library of Wales
Date: 29/08/2019View Announcement
Closed for Applications
12/02/2019 at 16:00
Final Interview Date
29/08/2019 at 17:00
Peter Owen Added 12/02/2019
Head of Museums Archives and Libraries Division • Departmental Official
Rhodri Glyn Thomas Added 12/02/2019
Chair of the National Library of Wales • Representative of Organisation
Mai Parry Roberts Added 12/02/2019
Former Director of Business and Personnel - Urdd • Independent Member
The Role of Vice President
- The Vice President will assist the President in leading the overall direction of the Board and take on the roles of the President if he/she is absent.
- Chairing other Library Committees and/or in the absence of the appointed Chair.
- Along with the Chair, act as a main point of contact between the Board and the Minister for Culture, Tourism and Sport and Government officials.
- Liaising with other officers and members of the Board as necessary, along with that of the Executive team. In doing so scrutinise, challenge and support the executive to meet the Library’s aims, objectives and targets.
- Participate in the corporate planning process, including agreeing annual budget plans for operational programmes and corporate activities;
- Representing the Library in its dealings with the National Assembly for Wales and the Welsh Government.
- Actively promote the benefits of the diverse cultural heritage sector within Wales and further afield.
- Have a clear vision as to how the Library can continue to contribute as a main deliverer of Government cultural heritage policy
- Have an understanding of how the public sector in Wales functions.
- Be actively engaged in encouraging board membership and the next generation of trustees.
- Ensure the Library achieves value for money within a framework of best practice, regularity and property.
- Act in a way that promotes highs standards of probity and public finance.
- Be politically independent.
- Appoint, with the Welsh Government’s approval, a Chief Executive, should the need arise.
- Have a clear understanding and commitment to Nolan’s “Seven Principles of Public Life”.
- The ability to lead an executive board and support the leadership of a high profile organisation; provide strategic guidance and have the ability to build strong relationships.
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to operate effectively as an ambassador for the Library, demonstrating tact and diplomacy in dealings with stakeholders;
- An understanding of the Library’s dual role as a major charity and a Welsh Government Sponsored Body in line with an understanding of public life and the principles of good governance.
- Ability to think logically and objectively and analyse complex information in order to identify key issues and make effective decisions.
- A commitment and enthusiasm for the Library’s work and an understanding of the diverse cultural sector as a whole. Please describe how you can evidence this criterion.
- An understanding of the diverse communities of Wales and a commitment to promoting diversity and inclusiveness.
The Vice President post is considered Welsh desireable, at the level specified below:
Understanding – can understand basic conversations about everyday topics.
Reading – can read simple material on everyday topics with understanding
Speaking – can converse in simple work related conversations.
Writing – no skills.
How to Apply
|National Library of Wales- Information for Candidates - Vice President English|
|National Library of Wales- Information for Candidate - Vice President - Welsh|