National Savings and Investments Non-executive Director
|Body:||National Savings and Investments|
|Appointing Department:||HM Treasury|
|Sector:||Business, Finance & Skills|
|Skills required:||Audit and Risk, Business / Commercial, IT / Digital, Retail, Transformation|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||Remuneration will be £18,000 per annum.|
|Time Requirements:||The time commitment required for the Non-executive Directors will be around 18 days per year (plus travelling time) to NS&I business, for preparation and attendance at bi-monthly Board meetings, the Audit and Risk Committee, workshops and the partnership development board, including occasional visits to operational sites. There may also be further ad hoc meetings with NS&I’s outsourcing partners.|
Closed for Applications
Final Interview Date
11/08/2021 & 13/08/2021
Please note sift and interview dates are subject to change based on panel availability. We will notify candidates asap if changes do take place. We will provide reasonable notice (if needed) to candidates invited to interview stage.
Chair, NS&I • Representative of Organisation
Deputy Director, Debt & Reserves Management, HM Treasury • Departmental Official
CEO, Banking Standards Board • Independent Member
We are looking for a Non-executive Director to join the National Savings and Investments (NS&I) Board. The successful candidate would also join NS&I’s Audit and Risk Committee
NS&I is both a government department and an Executive Agency of the Chancellor of the Exchequer and plays a key role in the Government’s debt financing strategy. Established 160 years ago, today NS&I’s savings products are held by millions of customers across the UK.
The NS&I Board is advisory, providing support to the Chief Executive, who is also NS&I’s Accounting Officer. It consists of seven Executive Directors (including the Chief Executive), up to five Non-executive Directors (including the NS&I Chairman) who are independent and up to two representatives of HM Treasury. As a Non-executive Director you will assist in developing NS&I’s strategy and advise on the operational implications and effectiveness of policy proposals. You will bring independence and impartiality, with the ability to question or constructively challenge the NS&I executive. You will need strong business strategy skills, including the ability to interpret business and management information to determine business performance and improvement. You will have excellent influencing and communication skills as well as the ability to build effective and constructive relationships.
The successful candidate will have extensive experience in the financial services or technology sector to bring specific insight to Board discussions, together with commercial experience relevant to the broader organisation.
Candidates for this role must have the following experience:
- We are looking for an exceptional individual with extensive experience in the financial services or technology sector, to bring specific insight to Board discussions, together with commercial experience relevant to our broader business.
- Candidates should also have experience of taking a retail customer-centric approach to development and delivery of retail products and services, ideally gained in retail financial services.
- Audit and Risk Committee experience.
Demonstrate the following key competencies:
- Independence and impartiality, including an ability to question or challenge the NS&I Executive team, using and applying their experience from elsewhere, and to challenge constructively the existing way of doing things.
- Business strategy skills, including an ability to interpret business and management information to determine business performance and development, an ability to simplify and focus on big issues, and an ability to understand and appreciate the impact of transformational change that has already taken place within NS&I and to support the continuing need for change.
- Influencing and communicating skills, including an ability to develop an effective and constructive relationship with the Chair, Chief Executive Officer, other executives and Non-executive Directors and other key external influencers.
- An understanding of government and public sector governance requirements and the way of working; or the ability to quickly gain this understanding. Direct experience of the public sector is not required.
How to Apply
If you wish to apply for this position, please supply the following:
- A comprehensive CV setting out your career history, with responsibilities and achievements.
- A covering letter (maximum two sides) highlighting your suitability and setting out how you meet the person specification. Please note that the covering letter is an important part of your application and is as much the means by which you will be assessed as your CV.
- Please provide details of two professional referees together with a brief statement of the capacity and over what period of time they have known you. Referees will not be contacted without your prior consent.
- Diversity Monitoring Form – all candidates are also requested to complete a Diversity Monitoring Form. Your Diversity Monitoring Form will be stored separately from your application and will play no part in the selection process.
- Candidates are required to complete the Guaranteed Interview Scheme, Political Activity and Conflict of Interest Monitoring Questionnaire.
Please send your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 21 June 2021.
|Disability Confident Scheme, Political Activity, and Conflict of Interest questionnaire|
|Diversity Monitoring Form|
|Public Appointment Recruitment Privacy Notice|
|NSI Non-executive Director Candidate Pack|