Non-Executive Directors for the Government Actuary's Department
|Body:||The Government Actuary's Department|
|Appointing Department:||HM Treasury|
|Sectors:||Business, Finance & Skills|
|Skills required:||Audit and Risk, Business / Commercial|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Remuneration:||Remuneration for the Non-Executive Director positions is calculated at a daily rate of £500 for approximately 15 days annual commitment. In addition, reasonable travel and subsistence expenses will be reimbursed. The length of the appointment will initially be for a fixed period of either three or four years with the possibility of one extension term.|
|Time Requirements:||Minimum 15 days a year.|
Closed for Applications
w/c 18th Feb
Final Interview Date
w/c 4th and 11th March
The Government Actuary
Chair of the GAD Management Board
Director, Human Resources
The Government Actuary’s Department (GAD) is looking for two Non-Executive Directors to serve on its Management Board, one of whom will also be appointed to Chair GAD’s Audit and Risk Assurance Committee.
As a Non-Executive Director you will provide expert advice based on your extensive knowledge and experience and bring valuable external perspective to the department. You will bring independent oversight, support and constructive challenge to the work of GAD and its Board. You may also be involved in working groups or offer advice and support to individual directors, in addition to ad hoc pieces of work across the department. You will contribute to the development of GAD through:
- Attending monthly Board meetings;
- Attending quarterly Audit Committee meetings (usually on the same day as Board meetings);
- Participating in up to two Management and Leadership Away Days per year;
- Providing an external perspective to the Government Actuary on the strategic direction of the GADs work;
- Apply oversight to the Government Actuary and Executive team in managing the organisation, and delivery of objectives
- Play a key role in representing the Board and GAD in communications with key stakeholders and acting as an ambassador for GAD outside of the organisation.
- Undertaking occasional specific tasks such as assisting with the recruitment of senior management and providing support to senior management.
More information about GAD and the role can be found in the Candidate Information Pack (attached).
As a Non-Executive Director, you will be able to demonstrate the following knowledge and experience:
- Experience of working at Board level, winning the confidence of Board members and contributing effectively to wider corporate issues;
- Successful leadership of improving performance while maintaining high service standards and providing a high client service;
- Substantial experience and proven success in a similar role to influence strategic management debates and decisions; and
- Expert knowledge and experience of accounting, audit, risk management and corporate governance at a strategic level within the public sector (to be considered for the Chair of Audit and Risk Assurance Committee post);
- Commercial leadership experience within the private sector, ideally working with government or public bodies.
As a Non-Executive Director, you will also be able to demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Independence of mind and sound judgement;
- No conflict of interest between your business activities and the NED role;
- Sufficient strength of character to seek and obtain full and satisfactory answers within the environment of the Board;
- An engaging collaborative working style and an ability to question intelligently, debate constructively and challenge rigorously;
- An ability to listen sensitively to the views of, and to gain the trust and respect of, others;
- Evidence of a personal motivation and commitment to the public sector and demonstrate commitment to the seven principles of conduct in public life.
How to Apply
Please email the following documents to email@example.com by 23:00 pm on 17 February 2019.
- CV (maximum 3 pages) setting out your career history, responsibilities and achievements.
- A supporting statement (maximum 2 sides) highlighting your suitability and setting out how you meet the person specification. The supporting statement is an important part of your application and will be assessed along with your CV.
- Diversity Monitoring Form and Guaranteed Interview Scheme, Political Activity and Conflict of Interest Questionnaire (attached as separate documents) – These will play no part in the selection process and will be treated in line with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation.
It is essential in your supporting statement that you provide evidence and proven examples of how you meet the requirements. To ensure your application is processed correctly, please state within your supporting statement if you wish to be considered for one or both of the below posts:
- Non-Executive Director
- Non-Executive Director and Chair of Audit and Risk Assurance Committee (ARAC)
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact Sanjita Kalakheti on 0207 211 2734 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.