Non-Executive Director(s) - High Speed Two LtdAnnounced
|Appointing Department:||Department for Transport|
|Skills required:||Business / Commercial, International Experience, Major Projects, Procurement|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Remuneration:||£950 per day (plus reasonable expenses)|
|Time Requirements:||2 days per month|
An announcement has been made on the outcome of this appointment.View Announcement
Closed for Applications
Final Interview Date
Clive Maxwell Added 11/12/2017
Director General, High Speed Rail Group, DFT • Departmental Official
Sir David Higgins Added 01/08/2017
Chair, HS2 Ltd • Representative of Organisation
Baroness Jo Valentine Added 01/08/2017
Non Executive Member, HS2 Ltd Board • Representative of Organisation
Tony Poulter Added 01/08/2017
Non-Executive Member, DFT Board • Departmental Official
Background to the Roles
Non -Executive Director(s) HS2 LTD
HS2 Ltd is an Executive Non-Departmental Public Body (NDPB) of the Department for Transport and is also established as a Companies Act company, limited by guarantee. It is charged with developing proposals for and promoting HS2. HS2’s key objectives in the near future are:
- To support taking forward the Phase 1 construction programme efficiently and cost effectively following approval by Parliament; and to ensure good liaison with communities and wider stakeholder organisations;
- To support the passage of the Phase 2a Bill through Parliament to authorise construction of the second phase of the route from the West Midlands to Crewe;
- To support the Secretary of State in developing the Phase 2b hybrid Bill and the Environmental Assessment of the Phase 2b Scheme.
- To support the development and procurement strategy for Stations, Rolling Stock & Depots; and
- To support Euston Station and Oversite Development.
- HS2 Ltd’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy sets the organisational goal of having the most diverse workforce and leadership in the infrastructure sector. We are positive about encouraging diversity and are seeking the broadest pool of suitably qualified candidates to assess for the two Non- Executive Director Roles. Key responsibilities;
- HS2 Ltd is at a pivotal point in its development, transitioning from an advisory and project planning organisation to becoming the delivery body that will build and ultimately operate the railway. The Secretary of State for Transport is seeking to appoint two new Non-Executive board members to the HS2 Ltd Board, with specific experience of delivering very large infrastructure projects and/or property development and regeneration, with the aim of increasing the level of commercial expertise, challenge and Board knowledge of a very large project delivery;
- Provide scrutiny and guidance to the executive team and support HS2 Ltd in exercising its responsibilities;
- Ensure that the DfT’s requirements are adhered to throughout the development of the project;
- Ensure that high standards of corporate governance are observed and high standards of regularity and propriety are maintained in line with best practice and statutory requirements;
- Ensure that stakeholder relationships with partner organisations are developed and improved; and
- Sit on sub-committees of the HS2 Ltd Board, as required.
The successful candidates for these specialist posts will possess the following characteristics:
- Instantly recognizable commercial experience i.e. has led or is leading the delivery of very large scale infrastructure projects (so called Megaprojects) including, but not exclusively, in Transport (Highways, Railways, Airports & Seaports) and Energy (Power Plants, Natural Gas extraction & Hydro Electric Plants) to share their expertise in this challenging environment; and/or
- Substantial operational experience gained in property development and regeneration.
- An outstanding record of achievement throughout their professional career;
- Experience of successful operational leadership;
- Some exposure to railway operational concepts would be helpful but not essential.
In addition, successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following skills and knowledge:
- Leadership, collaborative team-working and inter-personal skills to promote effective Board working;
- Commercial ability for example, an understanding of funding and costs, or in application of commercial strategies to major projects;
- The ability to scrutinize and question complex data sets including finance and risk data;
- The ability to advise the UK Government;
- The ability to contribute to and constructively scrutinise the programme, ensuring the Department for Transport and HM Treasury continue to have strong confidence in HS2 Ltd’s ability to deliver to time, cost and quality.
- Understanding of the economic, social and environmental importance of transport;
- Understanding of good governance & organisational effectiveness;
- Understanding of public propriety including integrity and discretion.
How to Apply
Please go to www.rraresponses.com to pick up further information about the role and how to apply.
|HS2 NEDs Appendix 1 Forms|
|HS2 Non Executive Director candidate pack|