Office for Students, Student Experience Board MemberAnnounced
|Body:||Office for Students|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Education|
|Location:||Bi-monthly board meetings usually take place in person in London. Student Panel meetings are currently remote.|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£9,180 per annum.|
|Time Requirements:||The role has an expected time commitment of around 20 days per annum.|
An announcement has been made on the outcome of this appointment.
The Secretary of State for Education has appointed Caleb Stevens to the board of the Office for Students (OfS) as the Student Experience Board Member.
Caleb will serve for 3 years from 1 February 2023.
Remuneration for this role is £9,180 per annum for an estimated time commitment of 20 days.
This appointment is made under Schedule 1, paragraph 2(1)(d) of the Higher Education and Research Act 2017, which permits the appointment of up to 12 ordinary or non-executive OfS board members.
The register of interests of board members is published on the Office for Students website. The appointee has no political activity to declare.
The OfS is a non-departmental public body. It is the independent regulator of higher education in England. It regulates in the interests of students and prospective students from all backgrounds.
Date: 24/01/2023View Announcement
Closed for Applications
13/06/2022 at 11:00
Final Interview Date
UPDATE 15 July. Due to unexpected circumstances a new interview date will need to be arranged. Interviews will not take place on 4 August as advertised. Update 18.11.22 Deliberations regarding this appointment are ongoing.
Hannah Sheehan Added 10/05/2022
Director, HE Quality, Access and Student Experience Directorate, Department for Education • Departmental Official
Political Activity - Notes -
Clare Marchant Added 10/05/2022
Chief Executive, UCAS • Independent Member
Political Activity - Notes -
Lord James Wharton Added 10/05/2022
Chair of the Office for Students • Representative of Organisation
Political Activity Conservative Peer in the House of Lords since September 2020 , Former Conservative MP for Stockton South from 2010 to 2017 and Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for International Development from July 2015 to June 2017. Notes -
The Student Experience board member will provide a student perspective at the heart of the OfS and will bring experience of representing a wide range of student views, as well as excellent stakeholder management skills.
The successful applicant will play a role in delivering government priorities for HE. They will contribute to OfS’s work to raise quality in HE provision, protect free speech and academic freedom, and tackling harassment including antisemitism and sexual misconduct and its causes. They will also ensure prospective students have the right information available to them from providers on the likelihood of completing their course and what they go on to do.
The OfS student experience board will sit on the OfS’s student panel, which comprises 13 current, recent and prospective students. This panel ensures that students’ views inform OfS’s decision-making and acts as an important source of advice to the OfS board.
Non-executive director board members play a key role in shaping the OfS’s strategic direction, contributing to delivery of the OfS’s statutory regulatory duties, with responsibility for a wide range of activities, including:
- Oversight of the OfS’s corporate strategy.
- Reviewing risks and benefits, and monitoring outcomes against plans.
- Being responsible for the stewardship of public funds, managing the risks relating to the OfS’s work.
- Providing constructive challenge to ensure all functions are carried out efficiently and effectively.
- Be a current undergraduate or postgraduate student in HE in England or have graduated from HE in England within the last two years.
- Demonstrable experience of representing or promoting the interests of students, bringing first-hand knowledge of the many issues faced by past, present and future students. This should include the ability to work collaboratively with a range of stakeholders at different levels.
- Have a genuine interest in supporting the OfS deliver the Government’s priorities for HE, for example on real social mobility, quality, free speech and academic freedom and improving the student experience including by tackling antisemitism and sexual misconduct, and providing support for student mental health.
- Experience and understanding of corporate governance.
You will be expected to demonstrate high standards of corporate and personal conduct.
The successful candidates will be asked to subscribe to a Code of Conduct for members of the board, and must confirm that you have a sound understanding of, and commitment, to the principles of public life.
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents by email to:
- A CV of not more than 2 pages of A4
- Candidate Application Form
- Diversity Monitoring Form
Please include the heading “Student Representative: Office for Students” in the subject box of your email and submit your application documents as separate attachments.
Please note the following:
- We cannot accept applications submitted after the closing date.
- Applications will be assessed solely on the documentation provided. Please refer to the advert and checklist to ensure you have provided the necessary documentation.
- Applications will be acknowledged upon receipt.
- Feedback will only be given to candidates unsuccessful following interview.
- When 30 or more applications are received, it is likely that your application will be “pre-assessed” before it is passed to the Advisory Assessment Panel for consideration. You should be aware that in this situation, your application might not be considered in full by all the members of the Panel.
|DFE OFS Student Rep candidate pack|