Ofqual Board Members and Ofsted Board MembersAnnounced
|Body:||Ofqual and Ofsted|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Education|
|Location:||Ofqual Board and Committee meetings are usually held in Coventry; advisory and sub-groups are held in Coventry or London. Ofsted Board meetings usually take place in London; other events can be held in any of the 8 regions nationally.|
|Number of Vacancies:||Ofqual are recruiting for up to 5 Members. Ofsted are recruiting for up to 4 members|
|Remuneration:||Ofqual - £6000 per annum. Ofsted - £8282 per annum|
|Time Requirements:||Ofqual - up to 20 days per year. Ofsted - in the region of 20 days per year|
An announcement has been made on the outcome of this appointment.View Announcement
Closed for Applications
08/09/2017 at 12:00
Final Interview Date
7th-14th November (Ofsted - Now completed), 4th-5th December (Ofqual)
January 31st (Ofsted), February (Ofqual)
Interviews for Ofsted have now concluded. Interviews for Ofqual will take place on 4th and 5th December
Roger Taylor Added 31/08/2017
Chair of Ofqual • Representative of Organisation
Julia Kinniburgh Added 31/08/2017
Director • Departmental Official
Julius Weinberg Added 31/08/2017
Chair of Ofsted • Representative of Organisation
Margaret Scott Added 31/08/2017
Ofqual Advisory Assessment Panel Member • Independent Member
Political Activity - Notes Please note: this will depend on availability
Ruby McGregor-Smith Added 31/08/2017
Ofsted Advisory Assessment Panel Member • Independent Member
Political Activity - Notes Please note: this will depend on availability
Are you interested in making a difference to education, and the wellbeing of children and young people?
The Secretary of State for Education is seeking to appoint up to 5 members to the Board of the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual) and up to 4 members to the Board of the Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills (Ofsted).
We are seeking a diverse and experienced range of Board members who can help set the strategic direction for these 2 important organisations. Successful candidates will bring top level management and/or board experience, alongside the ability to provide strategic leadership and oversee performance. A description of the requirements for each Board is outlined in the respective Application Pack. Candidates may apply to be a member of one Board or ask to be considered for either Board.
Ofqual is the independent regulator of general and vocational qualifications in England. It maintains standards and public confidence in the qualifications system. This is an exciting opportunity to join the Board, as the reform programme of general qualifications is implemented and reform of vocational and technical qualifications is embarked upon. The Board meets every second month and members are expected to belong to a Committee or Advisory Group. Remuneration of £6,000p.a. is payable.
Ofsted is the independent inspector and regulator of services that care for children and young people and services providing education and skills for learners of all ages. The Board meets every second month and members also are expected to belong to a Committee or Advisory Group. Remuneration of £8,282p.a. is payable.
The following criteria is for the role of Ofqual Board Member:-
To help you decide if you wish to be considered for these posts, we have listed below the criteria that will be applied when assessing applications. Applicants will need to demonstrate in their written applications instances where their experience matches the essential criteria detailed below and it will be an advantage to demonstrate evidence of experience that matches the desirable criteria.
- The ability to think strategically and to contribute to strategic development in different contexts;
- High level management and/or board experience in the public, voluntary or private sectors; and
- The ability to build effective relationships at high levels and/or between organisations.
Experience or expertise in one or more of the following areas would be desirable:
- Experience of the education sector, particularly, secondary, further and/or higher education;
- Senior level practical or academic experience of vocational and technical qualifications;
- Deep assessment expertise;
- A background in industry with knowledge of apprenticeships;
- Experience of senior positions in HR, training and recruitment;
- Experience of senior corporate positions in communications or logistics; and
- An understanding of regulation in general and/or the regulatory framework within which Ofqual operates.
Successful candidates are expected to support Ofqual’s aims and objectives and act as ambassadors for the organisation.
The following criteria is for the role of Ofsted Board Member:-
The successful candidates will need to demonstrate that they meet as many of the criteria as possible, including all essential criteria. These criteria will be explored further with those who are invited to interview.
- The ability to think strategically and to contribute to strategic development in different contexts
- High level management and/or board experience in the public, voluntary or private sectors
- The ability to build effective relationships at high levels and/or between organisations
- A commitment to Ofsted as an inspectorate and regulator, and its role in improving standards in education, children’s services and skills
These may not apply for applicants early or mid in their career, where we will be looking for evidence of potential to perform at this senior level.
We are looking to recruit at least one person who has significant expertise and/or experience working at a senior level in at least one of the following:
- Children’s social care, including child protection
- Further education
- Financial management
For each of the four roles, one of the following areas of policy or sector expertise would be desirable:
- Maintained secondary schools
- Information technology and knowledge management
Ofqual and Ofsted
- We particularly welcome disabled, female and minority ethnic applicants.
- These appointments are made by the Secretary of State for Education and may be subject to routine security clearance.
- Induction will be provided on appointment.
- Remuneration is taxable under Schedule E and may be subject to Class I National Insurance Contributions. It is not pensionable.
- Board members are also eligible to claim allowances, at rates set by Ofqual, for travel and subsistence costs necessarily incurred on Ofqual business.
How to Apply
Completed applications must either be submitted by email to: email@example.com
or by post to:
Department for Education
2 St Pauls Place
125 Norfolk Street
Sheffield S1 2FJ
Applications must comprise:
A full CV;
- A separate personal statement demonstrating how you meet the key requirements for the role as set out in the Person Specification. Your personal statement should be no more than three pages long;
- Details of two referees: note that we will not approach referees without your prior consent;
- A completed diversity monitoring form; and
- A form relating to declaration of interests, convictions and political activity.
- These forms can be found on the Public Appointments website (for completion electronically) https://centreforpublicappointments.azurewebsites.net/ and in Annex 2 and 3 of this document. Forms are also available electronically by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Special arrangements for disabled candidates invited to interview can be discussed in confidence. Please direct any questions about the application process to Scott Postlethwaite, by phone on 0114 2742073 or email at email@example.com.
Please enclose with your application:
- A full CV
- A supporting statement of not more than three pages (total) summarising your proven ability related to the person specification. The statement should give evidence of the strength and depth of your ability to meet all essential criteria for this role and any desirable criteria if applicable.
- The completed equal opportunities monitoring form. Applications from all groups are warmly welcomed
- Declaration of interests form
The closing date for applications is noon on Friday 8 September 2017.
Applicants who wish to be considered for both Ofsted and Ofqual positions should either provide a personal statement for each Board (each no more than three pages long), or ensure their single personal statement (no more than three pages long) provides written evidence of how they meet all the essential criteria of both person specifications and any desirable criteria if applicable.