The Water Services Regulation Authority (Ofwat) - Non-Executive Directors
|Body:||The Water Services Regulation Authority (Ofwat)|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs|
|Sector:||Environment, Food & Rural Affairs|
|Skills required:||Audit and Risk, Business / Commercial, Major Projects, Regulation|
|Number of Vacancies:||3|
|Time Requirements:||3 days per month|
Closed for Applications
21/02/2020 at 12:00
Final Interview Date
Jonson Cox Added 09/01/2020
Chair, Ofwat • Representative of Organisation
Sally Randall Added 09/01/2020
Defra director, Floods and Water • Departmental Official
Eiffiona Williams Added 09/01/2020
Welsh Government, Head of Water Branch • Other Panel Member
Roger Witcomb Added 09/01/2020
Roger was enquiry chair at the Competition and Markets Authority • Independent Member
The Water Services Regulation Authority (Ofwat) is led by a Board of directors which includes the Chairman, up to six Non-Executive Directors and four Executive Directors, including the Chief Executive. The Chairman is Jonson Cox.
Details of Ofwat Board members are available on the Ofwat website and below:
As part of its succession programme, Ofwat is seeking two to three Non-Executive Directors to join the Board. Ofwat is particularly looking for Non-Executive Directors who will bring strong and relevant experience in one of the following areas: championing the interests of consumers, the leadership of significant asset-based businesses and the leadership of business transformation.
The Board is very conscious of the need to make meetings effective when the agenda can be broad and the responsibilities significant. With the help of clear executive propositions, the ten Board meetings a year run to an efficient timetable that get the best contribution from Board members, focussing on issues of strategic significance. Recent internal and external Board evaluations rated the Board as very effective and confirmed that members enjoy being a member of the Ofwat Board. We wish to continue to build on this strong base of diverse skills and contribution, enthusiasm and commitment.
Alongside their Board colleagues, the general role of Board members is to:
Contribute to the development of Ofwat’s long term strategy and its strategy across a wide range of regulatory and
• Contribute to Board effectiveness at Ofwat;
• Ensure Ofwat secures effective governance of itself and the sector it regulates;
• Contribute experience from sectors other than the water and wastewater sector;
• Provide a constructive source of challenge to the Executive;
• Join one of Ofwat’s Audit, People and/or policy sub-committees as appropriate;
• Be energetic, enthusiastic and motivated by the opportunity to develop and implement Ofwat’s future strategies.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate all of the following essential criteria:
Ofwat seeks individuals with the integrity, skills and judgement necessary to help regulate this vital sector. We welcome applications from either first-time or experienced Non-Executive Directors.
• Candidates should have a strong profile and reputation in their chosen field, a commitment to being a member of an effective Board, and the capacity to be an engaged and available Board member both at Board meetings and between them
• They will have good interpersonal skills, with an ability to engage effectively with Board and executive colleagues, contribute to debate and challenge constructively.
• Individuals should be able to process complex data and have an ability to take a strategic view. They will help the Board establish high-level principles and, as a member of a small Board regulating a large sector, have the courage of their convictions.
• The Board as a whole needs to be capable of making difficult decisions and defending those decisions under pressure: we are looking for candidates who are practical, decisive and who use their business and professional acumen to understand the impact of their decisions.
We actively encourage applications from individuals from a wide range of backgrounds.
How to Apply
The recruitment process is being undertaken by Odgers Berndtson on behalf of Ofwat. If you wish to apply for this position, please supply the following:
• A comprehensive CV setting out your career history, with responsibilities and achievements.
• A covering letter (maximum two sides) highlighting your suitability and setting out how you meet the person specification. Please address the essential criteria and the required areas of expertise. The covering letter is an important part of your application and is as much the means by which you will be assessed as your CV.
• Diversity Monitoring Form – All candidates are also requested to complete a Diversity Monitoring Form. Your Diversity Monitoring Form will be stored separately from your application and will play no part in the selection process. Once you have completed your application, you will be sent an automatically generated email asking you to complete the Diversity Monitoring Form.
• Conflicts of Interest, Conduct and Political Activity Form – this can be found by visiting www.odgers.com/73135. Please download the form and return to firstname.lastname@example.org
The preferred method of application is online at www.odgers.com/73135
If you are unable to apply online please email your application to: email@example.com
Any postal applications should be sent to:
20 Cannon Street
London EC4M 6XD
All applications will receive a response.
|2_Candidate Information Pack|
|3_Public Appointments-Privacy Notice|