PAT 160022 – Sentencing Council for England and Wales Two Non-Judicial Members.Closed
|Appointing Department:||Ministry of Justice|
|Sector:||Judicial, Prison & Policing|
|Location:||These roles are based in The Royal Courts of Justice, London.|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Remuneration:||£12,000 per annum|
|Time Requirements:||36 days a year|
Closed for Applications
28/07/2021 at 09:00
Final Interview Date
Christina Pride Added 29/06/2021
Deputy Director of Youth Justice and Offender Policy • Departmental Official
Political Activity - Notes -
The Rt Hon Lord Justice Holroyde Added 29/06/2021
Chair of the Sentencing Council • Representative of Organisation
Political Activity - Notes -
Dr Arif Ahmed Added 29/06/2021
University Reader in Philosophy at the University of Cambridge • Independent Member
Political Activity Conservative Notes Has been a member for 4yrs and pays a subscription of about £2 month
Members are expected to play an active role on the Sentencing Council. The responsibilities of members are to:
Deal with complex issues concerning the approach to sentencing and the guidance to be issued to courts. This may be guidance for sentencing particular types of offences (for example, arson, public order or terrorism offences) or for crosscutting issues (for example, the significance of previous convictions, or guidance on sentencing domestic abuse offences).
- Members will also need to contribute to discussion about the identification and analysis of relevant research and data.
- Members are expected to make a positive contribution to the efficient and effective delivery of the Council’s statutory functions and the priorities identified in its business plans and to support the Chair.
- Members will have reached a senior level in their particular area, will have a high level of credibility with their peers and will be able to demonstrate both that they have a sound knowledge of issues relevant to the work of the Council and that they have the capacity to develop that understanding further quickly and effectively.
- Members with professional skills or experience in governance; analysis and research methodologies; or communications, confidence and media relations may be expected to attend and participate in one or more of the sub-groups of the Council which focus on these issues.
- An understanding of the five core principles of sentencing: punishment, reduction of crime, reparation, rehabilitation and public protection.
- One role requires experience or understanding of the academic study or research relating to criminal law or criminology.
- One role requires experience or understanding of the rehabilitation of offenders.
- A demonstrable commitment to upholding the Seven Principles of Public Life “the Nolan Principles’’.
- The ability to serve in a personal capacity, drawing on your knowledge and experience, and not as a representative of particular professional associations or viewpoints, to be objective and open-minded, and be able and willing to work as part of a team under the general direction of the Chair, as well as supporting the Chair.
- The ability to retain the confidence of the Sentencing Council Chair, Ministers, Parliament, the judiciary, other professional bodies in the criminal justice system and the public.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- criminal defence;
- criminal prosecution;
- sentencing policy and the administration of justice;
- the promotion of the welfare of victims of crime;
- academic study or research relating to criminal law or criminology;
- the use of statistics;
- the rehabilitation of offenders.
- There must be no employment restrictions, or time limit on your permitted stay in the UK.
For successful candidates, confirmation of appointment will be subject to basic clearance checks, covering confirmation of identity and right to work in the UK plus a criminal record check. This will involve completion of several paper and electronic forms and can take up to twelve weeks to process following completion of the forms.
If you have any questions about any aspects of this post, you are welcome to contact Campaign Manager, Kathy Malvo by e-mail at Kathleen.email@example.com.
|Sentencing Council Non-Judicial Members - Candidate Pack|
|Conflict of Interest|
|Reference Request form|