Seafish Deputy Chair and Non-Executive Board MembersAnnounced
|Body:||Seafish Industry Authority (Seafish)|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs|
|Sector:||Environment, Food & Rural Affairs|
|Location:||Seafish is based in two locations, Edinburgh and Grimsby. Board meetings may be held at either of these offices or at other locations in the UK.|
|Number of Vacancies:||3|
|Remuneration:||Remuneration for Non-Executive Board members is set at £5,670 per annum and for the Deputy Chair is set at £9,750 per annum.|
|Time Requirements:||The board will meet at least 4 times a year. The time commitment is 18 days per annum for Board members and 30 days per annum for the Deputy Chair.|
An announcement has been made on the outcome of this appointment.
New appointments to the Seafish board
Deputy Chair and two new members appointed to the board of the Sea Fish Industry Authority (Seafish).
Date: 21/11/2018View Announcement
Closed for Applications
18/07/2018 at 12:00
Final Interview Date
28th and 29th August 2018
Dr Simon Brockington Added 06/06/2018
Deputy Director, Marine Science and Analysis, Defra • Departmental Official
W George Burgess Added 06/06/2018
Deputy Director, Trade Policy, Food & Drink, Scottish Government • Other Panel Member
Brian Young Added 06/06/2018
Chair of Sea Fish Industry Authority • Representative of Organisation
TBC • Independent Member
Political Activity - Notes -
Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the Seafish Industry Authority (Seafish) Board.
Leaving the EU is an exciting time for Seafish. As an industry levy body it is a representative voice for all sectors of the seafood industry. Seafish will play an important role in guiding industry through this period of great change, engaging and sharing their views to help guide reform of our fisheries policy.
We are looking for a non-executive Deputy Chair who is independent of the sea fish and seafood sector. We are also looking for a minimum of two non-executive members, one of whom will represent the large scale fishing sector and one of whom will be independent of the seafood sector. We are specifically seeking members from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to represent their respective nations to bring a wealth of experience and knowledge, help steer the strategic direction of the organisation and balance the priorities of the seafood industry.
If you think that you have the ability to take on these rewarding roles then I strongly encourage you to apply.”
George Eustice MP
The UK fisheries administrations are seeking a Non-Executive Deputy Chair and a minimum of two Non-Executive Members of the Board for the Seafish Industry Authority (Seafish) to provide strategic direction and leadership to the organisation which balances the priorities of the seafood industry. One of the non-executive members should have experience of, and be able to represent, the large scale fishing sector.
Non-Executive Members of the Seafish Board:
• provide strategic direction and leadership to the organisation which balances the priorities of the seafood industry in the UK as a whole;
• drive performance and hold the Executive to account against strategic and corporate plans;
• ensure propriety, regularity, economy, efficiency and effectiveness in the operation of Seafish and provide stewardship for the public funds entrusted to the organisation;
• ensure that Seafish discharges its statutory duties within the framework specified by Ministers;
• have a good understanding of the work of Seafish and its stakeholders; and
• work co-operatively and build relationships with the Executive and key stakeholders, and represents the organisation at a senior level.
In addition, the Non-Executive Deputy Chair of the Seafish Board:
• provides support and cover for the Chair in times of absence;
• maintains regular contact, on behalf of the Board, with the Seafish Finance Director;
• may be required, based on a competencies evaluation, to lead the Audit & Risk and Remuneration committees;
• in agreement with the Board, may be required to Chair a project team reflecting the need for the Board and Executive to be flexible during the uncertain times we will be facing.
The Deputy Chair and one of the board members must have no financial or commercial interests in the sea fish or sea food industry. He or she must be able to discharge their duties independently of the sea fish or sea food industry. The industry Member must be able to represent the views of stakeholders from the Scottish large scale fishing sector.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate all of the following essential criteria:
1. Enthusiasm and genuine interest in the complex and dynamic environment Seafish works in and its commitment to support a profitable, sustainable and socially responsible future for the seafood industry.
2. A proven ability to analyse issues at a strategic level in ways which are impartial, creative and manages risk while focusing on finding solutions.
3. An ability to work collaboratively in a group with diverse opinions and provide objective advice and constructive challenge to assist in making sound collective decisions and coherent policies.
4: (only for applicants who wish to be considered for the ‘industry’ Non-Executive Board member role):
• Demonstrable knowledge or understanding of working within the large scale (over 10 metre) fisheries sector;
• the ability to represent and promote the interests of the large scale UK fishing industry
5: (only for applicants who wish to be considered for the Deputy Chair role):
• Proven experience in financial and resource management, audit, governance
• An understanding of the strategic role of the Non-Executive Board of a public body.
We welcome applicants from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland for all roles to represent their nation on the board.
Seafish is an industry-levy funded body jointly sponsored by the four fisheries administrations; Scottish Government, Welsh Government, the Northern Ireland Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs and Defra.
Seafish carries out a wide range of activities aiming to promote the consumption of seafood, enhance the reputation of the industry and support the collection of data and provision of information, evidence and advice for decision-making in the supply chain. It offers regulatory guidance and services to all parts of the seafood industry, including catching and aquaculture, processors, importers, exporters and distributors of seafood, as well as restaurants and retailers.
One of the key challenges for Seafish in the next five years will be to support and guide the seafood industry through the changing landscape that leaving the EU presents.
About the board
Meeting on a quarterly basis, the Board ensures that Seafish is managed properly and effectively by providing strategic leadership, direction, support and guidance.
The Seafish Board consists of up to twelve non-executive members. All are appointed by Ministers in the UK’s four fisheries administrations (with the exception of Northern Ireland at this time).
Four Board members, including the Chair and Deputy Chair, must be independent of the UK sea fish industry. Other Board members should represent the interests of the sea fish and seafood industry.
How to Apply
All candidates are required to complete the following forms:
• Monitoring form 1 (Political Activity and Conflict of Interest Questionnaire)
• Monitoring form 2 (Diversity Monitoring Questionnaire)
Candidates should submit their CV with education, professional qualifications and employment history and the names and contact details for two referees, together with their statement of suitability.
The statement of suitability should give evidence of the strength and depth of your ability to meet the essential criteria for this role. Please provide specific examples to demonstrate how you meet each of the criteria (max two pages please).
Your CV and statement should be returned to the following address by the closing date: 12.00 (midday) on 18th July 2018. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference:
APPT05-18 – Deputy Chair
APPT06-18 – Non-Executive Board Members (x2)
For further information please email: email@example.com
|3_Deputy Chair and Members Information Pack|
|4_Monitoring form 1 (Conflicts of Interest and Political Activity)|
|5_Monitoring form 2 (Diversity)|
|6_Public Appointments Guidance notes|