Secretary of State Member of the Peak District National Park Authority
|Body:||Peak District National Park Authority|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs|
|Sector:||Environment, Food & Rural Affairs|
|Location:||Aldern House, Bakewell|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||Secretary of State members are unpaid. A basic allowance of £2,411 per annum is paid to each member of the Peak District National Park Authority.|
|Time Requirements:||3-4 days a month|
Closed for Applications
30/08/2022 at 12:00
Final Interview Date
Siôn McGeever Added 01/08/2022
Defra Deputy Director for Access, Landscapes, Peatland and Soil • Departmental Official
Andrew McCloy Added 01/08/2022
Chair, Peak District National Park Authority • Representative of Organisation
Professor Kiran Trehan Added 01/08/2022
Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Partnerships and Engagement, University of York • Independent Member
The statutory purposes of National Park Authorities are to:
- Conserve and enhance the natural beauty, wildlife and cultural heritage.
- Promote opportunities for the understanding and enjoyment of the special qualities of National Parks by the public.
- When National Park authorities carry out these purposes, they also have the duty to seek to foster the economic and social well-being of local communities within the National Parks.
The overall role of a member is to contribute to the leadership, scrutiny, and direction of the National Park Authority and further the statutory purposes.
Members are not representative of any organisation or group and have a duty to act in the best interest of the Authority on which they serve. Certain ineligibility criteria apply to these posts.
The key functions of a member are to:
- Ensure the National Park Authority furthers its statutory purposes
- Agree plans that ensure the Park is available to all parts of society, is relevant and is valued as a national asset for its special qualities
- Represent the Authority through collaborative working with external stakeholders at a national and local level, including other National Park Authorities
- Agree appropriate policies to meet statutory duties and participate in collective decision making
- Encourage a creative, experimental, and innovative culture, where risks are appropriately managed
- Guide the development of policy and business plans by participating in activities as required including meetings, committees and working groups
- Scrutinise and monitor performance, including providing constructive challenge and oversight of governance
- Ensure there is effective and efficient governance and management in place
- Provide leadership and strategic direction towards national priorities
- Utilise broad knowledge and skills, to manage local and national interests, ensuring the national interest is taken fully into account
Candidates must be able to demonstrate all of the following essential criteria:
- Enthusiasm and a genuine passion for connecting with nature, the work of the Natural Park Authority and its statutory purposes.
- An ability to successfully engage with and influence a wide-ranging audience in an ambassador role for an organisation.
- A demonstrable commitment to promote and increase equality, diversity, and inclusion.
- An ability to think strategically, contribute and scrutinise complex plans and policies.
- High standards of integrity and impartiality to ensure transparency, strong governance, and efficiency.
How to Apply
All candidates are required to complete the following forms:
- Monitoring form 1 (Conflicts of interest conduct and advertising Questionnaire)
- Monitoring form 2 (Diversity Questionnaire)
Candidates should submit their CV with education, professional qualifications and employment history and the names and contact details for two referees, together with their statement of suitability.
The statement of suitability should give evidence of the strength and depth of your ability to meet the essential criteria for this role. Please provide specific examples to demonstrate how you meet each of the criteria (max two pages please).
Your CV and statement should be returned to the following address by the closing date: 12.00 (midday) on 30 August. Email to email@example.com quoting reference APPT03-22.
For further information about the role please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|1_Peak District NPA - Candidate pack|
|2_Monitoring form 1 (Conflicts of interest conduct and advertising Questionnaire)|
|3_Monitoring form 2 (Diversity Questionnaire)|
|4_Public Appointments Guidance Notes|