Security Industry Authority Members (Non-Executive Directors)
|Appointing Department:||Home Office|
|Sectors:||Business, Finance & Skills, Charity & Public Sector, Judicial, Prison & Policing, Regulation|
|Location:||During the Covid pandemic members are currently working remotely. Normally, successful candidates will be required to attend meetings at the SIA Headquarters in London and on occasion other parts of the UK.|
|Skills required:||Accountancy, Business / Commercial, Regulation|
|Number of Vacancies:||3|
|Remuneration:||£9,160 per annum, based on up to 32 days worked|
|Time Requirements:||3 years|
Closed for Applications
Final Interview Date
Head of Public Protection Unit, Home Office • Departmental Official
Colleen Harris MVO
Communications and Media Adviser, and experienced Public Appointments panellist • Independent Member
Chair of the Security Industry Authority • Representative of Organisation
Chair of the Gangmasters Labour Abuse Authority • Independent Member
Do you want to contribute to an authority which is ensuring that private security operatives are properly trained and qualified to perform their essential duties?
If so, you can do this by becoming a Non-Executive Director (NED) of the Security Industry Authority (SIA). The SIA is an executive Non-Departmental Public Body responsible for regulating the UK private security industry. It is an important delivery partner to protect the public, through ensuring that unsuitable people are prevented from working in the industry. It’s two main duties are:
- the compulsory licensing of individuals undertaking designated activities within the private security industry,
- to manage the voluntary Approved Contractor Scheme (ACS), which measures private security suppliers against independently assessed criteria.
The SIA is looking for three NEDs whose responsibilities will be to work with the Chair and other Authority Members in setting the strategic direction of the Authority, Chair and participate in Authority sub Committees, oversee the work of the Chief Executive in managing the Authority and its delivery programme; and play a key role in representing the SIA in communications with key stakeholders.
We are looking for candidates with a successful track record of achievement in a Board-level or equivalent experience; a thorough understanding of issues arising from delivering services and business improvements within a high profile and sensitive environment; and a good understanding of the wider issues relating to the regulation of the private security industry or a sector with similar characteristics to the private security industry.
This appointment will be for an initial period of three years.
It is essential in your supporting statement that you provide evidence and proven examples against each of the selection criteria in Part One only of the person specification, in so far as you are able. These responses will be further developed and explored with those candidates invited for interview, together with the criteria listed in Part Two.
Part One – Essential Criteria
- Successful track record of achievement in a Board-level or equivalent experience
- Thorough understanding of issues arising from delivering services and business improvements within a high profile and sensitive environment, working with external partners (ideally enforcement); and/or
- Evidence of a good understanding of the wider issues relating to the regulation of the private security industry or a sector with similar characteristics to the private security industry.
Part Two – Desirable Criteria
- An understanding of the private security industry or law enforcement; and/or
- An accountancy qualification.
- An understanding of the Scottish or Northern Ireland criminal justice system.
We value and promote diversity and are committed to equality of opportunity for all. Appointment will be made on merit following an open, fair and transparent competition.
The successful candidates will be required to have or be willing to obtain security clearance to Security Clearance (SC) level. Pre-appointment checks will also be undertaken on criminal convictions. It usually takes between 4-5 weeks to obtain the security clearance. The role will be offered on a conditional basis until the successful candidate has passed all checks. The successful candidate will be encouraged to take up this appointment as soon as possible, subject to the successful completion of all pre-appointment checks.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is 23:00, Monday 12 July 2021.
Please submit the following 4 documents, clearly labelled, by email to:
- A comprehensive CV (maximum two sides A4, minimum 11 font) setting out your career history and including details of any professional qualifications.
- A short supporting statement (maximum two sides A4, minimum 11 font) giving evidence of the strength and depth of your ability to meet the essential criteria for the role. Please provide specific examples to demonstrate how you meet each of the experience, qualities and skill areas identified in the person specification.
- Please complete and return via email the forms at Annex B, relating to referees, conflicts of interest and nationality.
- In addition, please complete the Diversity Form at Annex C. Please click on the link to the Public Appointments website for further information on recording whether or not you have a disability
Please include the heading (Member of the Security Industry Authority) in the subject box.
Please submit your application documents as 4 separate attachments.
Please note the following:
- We cannot accept applications submitted after the closing date.
- Applications will be assessed on the documentation provided. Please refer to the advert and checklist to ensure you have provided the necessary documentation We will assess it based solely on documentation provided.
- Applications will be acknowledged upon receipt.
- Feedback will only be given to unsuccessful candidates following interview.
|Annex B - Supporting documentation 2020 - Final|
|Home Office Privacy Notice - Final|
|20210610 - SIA BOARD MEMBERS - Recruitment Pack - Final|